Archery Talk Forum banner
81 - 100 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
I don't know, a lot of states have draw weight requirements which seem way less effectual than having an actual accuracy requirement if you're worried about trying to make ethical kills. I know of one feller who shot three deer in the guts this year and completely missed one. None were recovered. I have no idea how well he shoots but at the point of shooting three deer in the guts on a row I think he should probably give up bow hunting forever. An accuracy test might weed some of these people out
Even worse than gut shooting 3 deer in a season, is recovering NONE of them. Everyone can make a bad shot. But every gut shot deer is a dead deer. And if you just do things right, 90 percent of them are able to be recovered. This guy should NOT be in the woods hunting deer. And not because he can't shoot, but because he's obviously not willing to do what it takes to recover the animal after the shot.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
guess I’d better sell all my equipment and return to gun hunting which will make my season one day.… opening day, done.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Lets see if we can sort this. Back in "the day" when even government had just enough people in it who could actually think, and common sense was, seemingly, actually more common, and when most folks operated on the same page, proficiency was seen as an achievement, something of which to be proud. Today it is all participation trophies.
But, the REAL sand in the ointment is this: in a decaying society, such as the one we inhabit today, government(when it can no longer kick the can down the road enriching the psychopaths at its top, or shoving other countries around) tend to turn their angst INWARD, on their constituents. Sort of a warped "peepee" contest aimed at the people. Eventually, in order to eliminate your right to feed yourself, imagine the proficiency test changing to five arrows in a tennis ball at 30 yards. And then come the "upgrade testing" every 5 years. Oh, and that tennis ball. Yeah, we rethought that, now its a soda bottle lid. They cannot WAIT to rule over you....."more thoroughly."
The Darwin Award winners will eventually disqualify themselves. Sadly, yes, they may wound something on the way out, and yes, that just galls me. The best we can hope for is the old fashioned paper plate test at 20 yards, and as much teaching towards a semblance of decency as we can transmit.
I am 65. And glad I am not getting younger.

Geezer rant over. Back to my cheetos and soda. Beats pudding on Thursdays like Joe got.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Giving in to regulation is only a hair away from asking for regulation, to the point there's no real difference.
There's no difference between abiding by a law and asking for more law? You sound like an idiot man just quit. You were prob the high school dork asking teachers for homework too.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I am doing a deer conservation program for a specific town that doesn't allow hunting besides this program. I have to shoot 3/5 arrows in the vitals at 25 yards before the season starts.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Hunter safety has a shooting test already. My state has an archery class you have to take. Granted it is just a class and a test.

It is what it is.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think it's a solution without a problem. I bet 95% of bowhunters could hit an 8 inch paper plate at 20 yards ten times out of ten. As previously discussed, the bigger problem is shooting within your limits and proper shot selection.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
my parents were in the navy. when we lived in virginia we used to hunt the military bases. fenced obviously but they needed to keep deer off the runways. they practiced QDMA and had a system to keep areas from getting over crowded. not only did you have to go through an indoc, but you had to qualify by shooting. and there was a separate qual for every method, bow, shotgun, muzzy.... i thought it was a good responsible practice.

i dont think youll ever get the general public onboard or the state agencies for that matter. it would alienate too many people who go into the season unprepared and remove money from the DNR's pockets by reduced tag numbers.
Hunted VA bases as well, the proficiency test didn’t halt stupid. I was amazed at how bad some folks were on test day. The range was always packed for the weeks prior to the testing. We also had to present 6 matching arrows with matching broadheads, because sometime in the past someone rolled in with a mixed bag of sticks.

as stated, not for the general public, but perhaps for specific areas such as suburban hunts and near high population areas.

·
The Impartial Archer
20,974 Posts
Are those of y'all against having a proficiency test really worried about government intervention, or are y'all just afraid you wouldn't pass? It would seem if good hunting ethics were the goal people should be in favor of a proficiency test so we could keep slob hunters out of the woods
I can pass....lol.......you remember the two week mask mandate? That's how Gov't works. They get their foot in the door and then take over. You must not be too observant....just the kinda' folks they like.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Slippery Slope to yearly classes and tests. Giving the anti’s new ways to control what they know nothing about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
There too many things that could disqualify a Bow Hunter, like Buck Fever, Poor Tuned Bow, Cold Weather, and many other things that can derail any Bow Hunter. As for Hunter's safety it was Not required for myself as I was old enough to get a license prior to an Hunter Safety "Requirement" Then lets add that ability to "Attend" a Hunter Safety Class is not so easy These Days as few Classes are held at least here in my home state it has been tough to go in to one! As To Missing or gut shooting a Deer, Deer jump the string etc so what some think on release is out of their "Control" and sure some take Bad Shots that is just how it is. While some like myself Wait for a Completely Broadside shot and a slight quartering away and Not Moving Deer other just let an Arrow Fly and "Hope for the Best". Similar taking a Long Shot over 30 yards some do that and Wound Deer / Animals! Why... because it is a good Buck or Bull Elk, do want To Miss OUT and a Trophy! How do You end these You Can't. It is why some want to take away something from another Hunter, Good Or bad They should not have to show How Good a Shot they are that has never been a good reason to take Bow Hunting Away. As it is their chance to get out and Hunt I am also Against This. This seems to come every now and then not sure why just because some don't like how others Hunt. Like hunting on a fence line, using cell trail cams to get a jump on taking a Buck, many things some states allow and others no longer allow...
LFM.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are those of y'all against having a proficiency test really worried about government intervention, or are y'all just afraid you wouldn't pass? It would seem if good hunting ethics were the goal people should be in favor of a proficiency test so we could keep slob hunters out of the woods
This is spot on man!

·
Registered
350 Posts
way back when to hunt prudence island in rhode island you had to take the test. no big deal,
every year looking for elk sheds i find dead elk shot with an arrow.
you know my thought then

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Are you going to tell me I can't hunt my own property if I don't pass or refuse to take it?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Are you going to tell me I can't hunt my own property if I don't pass or refuse to take it?
Do you have to have a license to hunt your own property? I don't know your states regs. Here you can fish in your own tank without a license, but for deer hunting you have to have a license even if your place is high fenced.

So depends I guess

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
I would be against it. If you are talking about proficiency for hunting, accuracy is fine, but I think ethics is way more important. ( No way to govern that ) Knowing your maximum range limitation and shot angles, plus getting as close as possible is hunting to me.
This guy has correct. I wouldn’t be against it, but I don’t think it’s going to help a single thing. Except for the state to make more money selling an additional “ stamp” tag. You know it wouldn't be free.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
A lot of people that should not be hunting because of ethics, Could still pass the test. It’s the guys that feel with 20% foc and 600 gr arrows they can shoot through any thing, and at any angle, and the ones that think they can shoot at any distance, that is what is a much bigger issue. I have no issue with a proficiency, if it’s free. But it’s not going to help a single thing.

81 - 100 of 202 Posts