Archery Talk Forum banner
101 - 120 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
In Minnesota, metro hunts require a proficiency test in order to be eligible to hunt. 3 arrows at 20 yards on a single spot target roughly the size of one target of a 5 spot (I think it is a touch larger than that, but not by much). If memory serves me correctly, when you can keep those 3 arrows inside the 5 ring, you would be considered a "sharp shooter" which I believe gives you a stronger chance of being chosen for those hunts. (tongue firmly in cheek here as I have not done a metro hunt in years here...

I would much rather see regulations in place for the deer we can take.... I'll be honest, I am a fan of an antler point restrictions as I feel it would help balance the herd overall more. Does are everywhere...

Steve
More does do need to be taken for sure. Just not by antler restriction.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
A lot of people that should not be hunting because of ethics, Could still pass the test. It’s the guys that need 20% foc and 600 gr arrows because they can shoot through any thing, and at any angle, and the ones that think they can shoot at any distance that is a much bigger issue.
Maybe put their target behind some bushes? 🤣🤣

·
Registered
267 Posts
What are y'all's thoughts on mandatory archery proficiency test before allowing someone to have a archery stamp? Nothing too complicated maybe something along the lines of five arrows in a row in a 6-in circle at 30 yards. Maybe give everybody three chances a year and if they can't do that they don't get archery stamp.
What do you need a stamp for?
Maybe Brandon will make it legal to hunt without an ID. Perhaps illegals can hunt whenever and wherever they want because racism or whatever. Giving government more power to restrict rights is plainly asinine. Slippery slope argument applies here.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Maybe put their target behind some bushes? 🤣🤣
You might be onto something, if the test involved targets behind bushes, and yardages out to 150 yards. People might just figure it out that, they nor there equipment are capable of it. But then what, we don’t have any bow hunters. Because even if it’s proven we are not capable of it, there’s still going to be those that will try it, no matter what.

·
Registered
340 Posts
It's not a simple question to answer. I agree along with everyone think that you should be a good practiced shot to hunt. But mandating it through a government agency is a slippery slope. I'm all for calling out unethical hunters. People who aren't prepared should at least be told they need to do more. I'll call out the post "I shot at 40 yards, it was only shot i had, i can't find my deer" post because we should. They need to know we don't approve because it was a bad decision. Because this is a decision sport. Because it comes down to should the shot even be taken. You add in angles, bow speed, etc. and an accuracy test is only one small piece. But mandating it through government, like many said, is a slippery slope. And not the end all be all. My wife will not shoot past 25 yards. We passed on several bucks before out of range, ranges some could kill at, and bucks bigger than I've ever shot. We saw a famous double drop tine at 40 with her and didn't pick the bow up. So we as bow hunters need to hold others accountable, I just don't think a government test is the best. It does lead to more government intervention, like all government intervention inevitably does. Like most things with hunting, it is better if we police ourselves. And I can't help but say when I was a newbie I made bad decisions. Should I have not been allowed to hunt then? I have learned a lot from being able to hunt and learn from experience.

·
Gold Supporting Archer
10,718 Posts
I think it's a great idea not just to get the shots down. But the information to be shared by fellow hunters,even instructors on form and technique. You are talking a major multi use offshoot to just shooting 3 arrows in a pie plate @ 30 or 20 yards.

You have it done @ local archery ranges and representatives can be there to recruit propective members. You can have outfitters there to offer paid hunts,meat processors. I mean you could turn this into a blast,just to get people to shoot 3-6 arrows. It could be made into a huge PLUS for all.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I’d like to see my state try and gather the 275,000 with an archery stamp and test them every year🤣. Answer is a flat no. They can’t even stop the poachers, properly manage the wildlife, and then throw that test at them. Then it would be discriminatory cause the rifle hunters wouldn’t have to do it. It’d be complete chaos.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
What are y'all's thoughts on mandatory archery proficiency test before allowing someone to have a archery stamp? Nothing too complicated maybe something along the lines of five arrows in a row in a 6-in circle at 30 yards. Maybe give everybody three chances a year and if they can't do that they don't get archery stamp.
Crossbows should have proficiency tests too. Too many newbies think they can go buy a bow or crossbow, sight it in, and then go pray and spray, without any practice.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
That would be real awesome for guys like me who have never taken a 30yd shot at an animal in their lives!!!!!!

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

I’ve killed 21 deer in the last 2 seasons and my longest shot has been right at 15yds. I have no sights on my bow and it would be asinine to expect me to be able to shoot well at twice the range I hunt at.

I agree with some other posters that there are plenty of folks out there that don’t have a clue what they are doing, but penalizing the guys who do know what they are doing is not the way to fix this problem!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
That would be real awesome for guys like me who have never taken a 30yd shot at an animal in their lives!!!!!!

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

I’ve killed 21 deer in the last 2 seasons and my longest shot has been right at 15yds. I have no sights on my bow and it would be asinine to expect me to be able to shoot well at twice the range I hunt at.

I agree with some other posters that there are plenty of folks out there that don’t have a clue what they are doing, but penalizing the guys who do know what they are doing is not the way to fix this problem!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I used to shoot with no sights on my bow. Thats pretty cool. Congrats on yor kills

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are those of y'all against having a proficiency test really worried about government intervention, or are y'all just afraid you wouldn't pass? It would seem if good hunting ethics were the goal people should be in favor of a proficiency test so we could keep slob hunters out of the woods
I think giving government more power is never a good idea… I believe in personal responsibility… I believe we as hunters should hold other hunters responsible and accountable.. if you give government more and more power they will eventually abuse it and you will in the end make us like Europe…

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Might as well have tests to set a mouse trap and land a fish too. Let the government control every part of taking care of your self and self sufficiency. Bahhhh bahhhh

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
How about a mandatory vaccine card to hunt too? Since the deer are carrying the rona. Noboby follows any rules these days.

·
Registered
Bear moment 65#, Elite Impulse 31 81.5#, Xpedition Xscape 80.5#, Hoyt turbo hawk rkt cams 75.5#
1,482 Posts
How about a comprehensive test of the constitution to vote and leave hunters alone.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
What problem exactly would this prevent? A bad shot on an animal (cant control that)? Shooting someone else (didnt know this is a problem)? Shooting ones self (probably not a problem either)? Sounds like the perfect instance for government intervention to solve a make-believe crisis. Of course, a raise in permits and surcharge for the educational experience would be required for the added gov employees in which to implement the valuable tool to reduce absolutely nothing. Is this what you are advocating?? I think its a hard no for me.

101 - 120 of 202 Posts