Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
Currently searching for a release for my new compound bow... i didn't realize how expensive these things were going to be?!
I don't really know if i want to spend $100 on a release... but I also don't want something thats going to let go of the string before Im ready either...
Id also be willing to get a thick tab or the hand held release. Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be a good one? I currently shoot a recurve as well so I like the finger release, but I know that Im going to need more protection because of the weight increase. Ive also heard that finger release may make it less accurate? Its not a big deal to me, Im fine with the wrist/hand release, finger tab or glove. Any suggestions on good ones? do you have to spend $120 to get a good one?

Thanks everyone,
You are a big help!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
No you dont have to spend $120 to get a good release. Scott makes good wrist strap release for around $60-$70. I use a Scott Little Goose and it only cost $65.

·
Just beat Terry Club
9,318 Posts
Well, in the release market you do get what you pay for. in saying that though there are some good releases in the $100 range or you could go for more expensive ones and try to fine them used for the cheaper price.
You'll get tons of opinions here on makes and models so remember they are just that. Lots of great release makers out there but some are above others in products and service.
I like TRU Ball and would suggest one of their models that offer a no travel trigger system, either in their wrist strap or hand helds. Is TRU Ball the only good one, no there are others that are great companies that put out fine products but like I said I like the TRU Balls and they feel good in my hand.

·
Socket Man
23,215 Posts
Your release is not something you want to skimp on and these releases are around 75 bucks I believe:

1. Scott Silverhorn or Rhino xt

2. Tru ball Fang

3. Tru ball short and sweet

Make sure you get the one with the belt buckle wrist strap, do not get the velcro ones. These are all hook releases and are better than the caliper releases that pinch together.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your release is not something you want to skimp on and these releases are around 75 bucks I believe:

1. Scott Silverhorn or Rhino xt

2. Tru ball Fang

3. Tru ball short and sweet

Make sure you get the one with the belt buckle wrist strap, do not get the velcro ones. These are all hook releases and are better than the caliper releases that pinch together.

Okay Ill check these out!! =]

·
Socket Man
23,215 Posts
I just looked on ebay and the tru ball short and sweet is 65 bucks and the other ones are around 85 to 95 bucks, the short and sweet is a awesome release and has won many championships and for the money is hard to beat.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
If you have a shop in your neighborhood that sell's releases see if they will allow you to try some or they might even have dedicated 'demo' releases. Try as many as you can.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just looked on ebay and the tru ball short and sweet is 65 bucks and the other ones are around 85 to 95 bucks, the short and sweet is a awesome release and has won many championships and for the money is hard to beat.
Thanks Ill definitely look at that one, the one on Lancaster (the S2) seems to have good reviews =]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Best advice is to find a shop or buddies that will let you try various releases. They can be very subjective in setup and feel. As you've already found, at the average price point, you don't want to buy-to-try.

Personally, I love my Stan Shoot-Off, but probably not the right direction for you during this transition time from recurve. Let us know what you end up with and how it works out...

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Best advice is to find a shop or buddies that will let you try various releases. They can be very subjective in setup and feel. As you've already found, at the average price point, you don't want to buy-to-try.

Personally, I love my Stan Shoot-Off, but probably not the right direction for you during this transition time from recurve. Let us know what you end up with and how it works out...
Ill have to check out the local shop! And ill check out the stan shoot off =] thanks

·
Registered
3,145 Posts

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
Op,

The release is only one of two connections between you and the bow. In my opinion, it's the most important.

You say you have a compound, but don't give any details. That's important as to whether or not you can shoot fingers with a tab or a glove. Most compounds these days are very short axle/axle and don't lend themselves very well to shooting fingers. Most of the compound bows put out in the last few years should be shot with a release.

Over the last 30 years or so, I've been thru dozens of releases (and fletching jigs) and I've never had a release for less than $100 that I used for any length of time. These days, I'm a died in the wool Carter fan. The only reason is that they work best for ME.

As you read thru the responses to your post, look at the signatures at the bottom of the post. If the responders are sponsored by a release company, take it with a grain of salt.

Hope you make a wise decision early in your shooting career.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Op,

The release is only one of two connections between you and the bow. In my opinion, it's the most important.

You say you have a compound, but don't give any details. That's important as to whether or not you can shoot fingers with a tab or a glove. Most compounds these days are very short axle/axle and don't lend themselves very well to shooting fingers. Most of the compound bows put out in the last few years should be shot with a release.

Over the last 30 years or so, I've been thru dozens of releases (and fletching jigs) and I've never had a release for less than $100 that I used for any length of time. These days, I'm a died in the wool Carter fan. The only reason is that they work best for ME.

As you read thru the responses to your post, look at the signatures at the bottom of the post. If the responders are sponsored by a release company, take it with a grain of salt.

Hope you make a wise decision early in your shooting career.
You very much =] and i just learned something. I bought the hoyt ignite which is a smaller bow so then a release would probably be much better to shoot with! And ill definitly keep that in mind. Ill check out carter too =] thanks again!

·
Coram Deo
3,286 Posts
I have several $200 releases and I'm using a Short 'n Sweet S1 when I use a wrist strap release. Highly recommended. Paid $45 for one off the Classifieds.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
When you are first starting out atleast try to spend over $50 on a release. It is very true to say you get what you pay for in the release market. Get an adjustable buckle style its quite and if you invest in a non cheap release it can last you ages with proper care.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I tried 14 releases this year and today bought a Tru Ball Fang from the classifieds for $75. The trigger is odd to me. But it is the best feeling release I have ever shot.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts