Archery Talk Forum banner

archery shoes

141621 584
Do any shoe mfg. make archery shoes? I haven't seen any at the nike nor adidas websites.

Is there such a thing as archery shoes? If not, what are the best shoes to wear while doing target archery? I noticed some of the archers wearing everything from boots to sandals. I wear boots if the ground is wet & muddy and running shoes when its sunny & dry. Out of curiosity, what do others wear and why?

Thanks for your response.
:darkbeer:
1 - 20 of 585 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Do any shoe mfg. make archery shoes? I haven't seen any at the nike nor adidas websites.

Is there such a thing as archery shoes? If not, what are the best shoes to wear while doing target archery? I noticed some of the archers wearing everything from boots to sandals. I wear boots if the ground is wet & muddy and running shoes when its sunny & dry. Out of curiosity, what do others wear and why?

Thanks for your response.
:darkbeer:
I wear samba classics by adidas. They are indoor soccer shoes and are super comfortable. Plus they have a flat sole.

Plus I use them for playing soccer in.

-Andrew

·
Registered
28 Posts
For me any skateboarding shoe. Flat, wide, stable, and very comfortable.

Anything that is flat will work for me usually (sandals, certain walking shoes, etc.) I've seen some archers wear pumas too.

I think as long as you are used to using the footwear, that counts the most. Hell, I've seen one person at a tournament shooting in heels :/

·
Registered
209 Posts
Salomon heavy hikers: one needs them for 3D courses, some ranges, no need to worry about stepping on something sharp like a broken broadhead and the flat sole indeed is great for any footing. I use them even indoors as they breath very well.

·
Member # 75
3,499 Posts
It may be advisable to experiment with heel height a little. You may find that it will affect your stability at full draw under varying conditions and therefore your aiming.

For me, running or athletic type shoes are too flat and cause me to stand back on my heels too much while shooting, thereby eliminating some of the stability control normally provided by my toes.

·
USAA Regional-L4 Coach
4,361 Posts
We discussed this at the L3 coaches course. I think the concensus of most experts in shooting sports (guns and archery) are flat soles are best. (little or no ramp angle, heel or toe higher) Some arch support might be beneficial. Take it for what it's worth..

I do have to agree that 3d or field ranges pose a different problem. Traction and support are very important on a field range.

DC

·
Genesis 21:20
25,256 Posts
For me any skateboarding shoe. Flat, wide, stable, and very comfortable.
Correct. Especially so indoors on hard flooring.

As dumb as I think they look (and they do look dumb :rolleyes: ) the Vans I've shot in were really the most stable shooting shoe I've ever worn.

If it's a really important tournament, or at least important to me, I will be wearing a pair of Vans or their equivalent.

If you ever see me shoot in anything else, it means I'm there to have fun.

When I was learning all this stuff, I took a lot of mental notes. One of those I distinctly remember was the image of Butch, Vic and Jason McK all wearing Vans at Louisville in early '04. I doubted that all three of them would just coincidentally choose the same type of shoe.

John.

·
SABMAG rider
1,154 Posts
Interresting topic.
heard somethinga bout FITA making a regultaions for footwear worn at FITA-shoots. Havent found anything on the net about it, so maybe someone can verify this?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Barefoot!

nothing beats it when its raining on a muddy grass archery range, after 30 or so shots you will have some nice holes to stand in ;)

read something somewhere that some known shoe brand made an archery shoe
That's not the half of it. I share my Outdoor range with horses. Seriously, in socks indoors at home and moccasins indoors elsewhere. Outdoors in tennis shoes with arch supports for heel spurs. I just don’t feel stable in the shoes. I have looked up the track and field shoes recommended in TA a year or so ago, but the skate board shoes idea will probably get me to the shoe store to do some comparison. Someday.

Shopping has always been a difficult activity for me to get motivated to do. I don’t seem to have that difficulty with the Lancaster catalog though. Think we could get Rob to include a archery shoe line?

·
Registered
705 Posts
I recently wrote an article on footwear for Archery Focus. The basic gist of the article is to find something that is stable, comfortable and safe. I wear Birkenstock shoes or raised clogs for indoors and Keen H2 sandals for outdoor. The Birks are stable and comfortable as are the Keens. The H2 model allows me to walk through water, or shoot in the rain, without any problems. I can just toss them in the laundry when I get home and they are just like new. The toe cap and lug sole makes them super safe.

1 - 20 of 585 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.