Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what in your mind makes a good archery shop a great archery shop, and
what are you looking for or expect out of your local archery shop?

I ask these questions for a few reasons, Mostly when I leave my local shop I feel like never going back, it seems like if I am not in there to spend $100 than they don't have time for me. So I ask these questions to see if I am on the same page as to what I expect.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If I buy a bow I expect free service for that bow and I also like to able to barter on certain items,like 10% off the price.I feel I spend a large amount on hunting so if they want me to keep coming back I want to feel valued.If I'm treated right I'll be back.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
service service service.
If it's not provided by the pro shop, then you might as well go to the box store.

other thoughts are a good range (w/ 3d if space allows), leagues, lessons, knowledgeable staff that can help both the experienced archer and has patience to help the complete newbie who walks in off the street and doesn't know which way to point the bow... that person may be back dropping the benjamins very soon.

·
Registered
871 Posts
At the shop I work at its all about service. If you buy a bow we Help you for life. If you need help with anything no matter what the cost were there to help. If you treat people right they come back. If you dont help the guy thats not buying a bow right now he wont come see you when is ready to buy that new bow. Know you can never make everyone happy but we try our best. My hunting partner drives 300 miles to are shop just for the service. He has three shop around him but once you find the right shop its hard to spend your money else were.

·
Registered
346 Posts
CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!!! When I go to the pro shop I like to be known by name. The pro shop I use is not a big place. You walk in, and he greets you with a handshake and a smile. I have used him now for about 6 years, and everything I have has come from his shop. For being a loyal customer, he has started giving me a 15% discount on everything. He knows bows, like nobody else I have met. If you have a question, he can answer it. The shop I was using before him was exactly the opposite. I haven't stepped foot in that place since.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Customer service better be good or you better know bows inside and out. We have a shop not far from us that the owner is known for not being the nicest guy. He knows his bow though. Guys put up with him because he does good work.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hands down it's service for me.

I bought a bow off a fellow ARer here and when I bought it to the shop for work he asked me about the bow. When I told him where I got it and how much I paid for it, he complimented me and told me it was a nice bow for the $$ I paid. I will always go back to him.

NYARCHER Where you from?? If it's L.I. I can give you the name of the place I use, the place it GREAT!!

·
have bow-will travel
3,993 Posts
SERVICE is #1, but service means different things to different people. The shop I go to doesn't have a problem with me using his presses and stuff to work on my bows, to me this is cool. He knows that I like doing this stuff myself. But one hand washes the other, if he gets swamped and I am there I always pitch in and help out. Also always helping out on the range with the not so experienced shooters. NYarcher if you are within about 45 minutes of Rochester area give Indian Mountain Archery a try you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
I want great service !This means real technical support not what Billy Bob did to fix his bow or what Bubba shoots for arrows and broadheads.

I want the arrows that that are spined right for the grains of B/H I shoot .If I want a old style peep tube type peep and eliminator buttons and old school knocks that is what I expect .I do not want to hear what is SOOOOOO much better in thier opinion or what worked for some 20 year old bow shop guy or what the owner shoots !

When a customer wants something the shop guys should not belittle thier choice or tell them how much better this other item would be instead.They should tell them what is needed technicly to shoot the setup that we ask for ...

The customer is always right and a yes SIR or yes MA'AM would not kill them either .After all The coustomer just likely dropped a whole bunch of hard earned money on the counter so a little respect will go a long ways at that point and a free setup for those who do not do thier own work when a new bow is bought would be great !:darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
The only pro-shop around me close is a Matchews dealer, so when I take my Bowtech in they give me no service. Even when starting out I bought a used bow from them and they treated me bad. So I found the "box" store here gives me better service. But I think if you go into a shop to spend even a lil $, they should treat you good, because box stores have better prices.

·
Registered
36,025 Posts
At the shop I frequent its more than just selling archery equipment. Its all about Customer satisfaction

The techs are there not only to sell equipment but to make sure the bow is tuned and sighted in and that you are 100% satisfied when you leave the shop.

I am proud to shoot for the best shop in Northern Indiana

Bass and Bucks Wabash, IN

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
24,509 Posts
Pro shop

:wink::tongue:What make a good pro-shop a great one? Simple, two things; CUSTOMER SERVICE and KNOWLEDGE.:tongue:

I've been rather fortunate to pick up both a solid knowledge base and the equipment to perform almost any adjustments/repairs that I may need. In fact, I often find myself working on several bows from family members, friends, and guys from the local club. When I make a trip to a pro-shop for a question I am expecting that this individual has more experience and knowledge that I do. I don’t think that is a lofty expectation. I am a humble guy and I don’t really think that I know it all; especially in this field.

Unfortunately, in my area of PA the only shop that I felt could live up to that standard, closed suddenly (ILA). Joe and Ryan were two of the most knowledgeable guys that I have been fortunate enough to come across (or at least they were good at fooling me). There shop was about 30-40 minutes away and I had to drive by two others on my way there. They always expressed their gratitude for my business, acknowledging I could go to the closer shops. They always made me feel as though my questions were important and my purchases, no matter how big or small, were the most important of their day. The dealt in high quality product (Hoyt) and were extensively versed in whatever they had is their store. They would inventory what they knew performed well, had solid reputation, and reputable company backing them. However, if you came in looking for something specific, you’d get it in a week.

As a result of this service they started getting all of my family's business and believe me, it was plenty. Now that they are closed I am forced to call and travel to Lancaster Archery. That trip takes close to an hour and 45 minutes. However, EVERY single time I've called the shop guys have been able to talk me through most of my issues. When I travel there I feel the same way I did at ILA. The drive just sucks!!!!:cry:

I’ve often though of opening my own shop, but I remember what Ryan would say. As much as he loved archery and archery hunting, he basically had to give it up for the shop. That is a sacrifice I am not willing to make.:wink:

Customer service and knowledge - the two keys to GREAT PRO-SHOPS. :tongue:

·
Registered
309 Posts
SERVICE is the key. I have a pro shop 3 blocks from my house, I drive 50 miles to have my bow worked on or buy any accessories. Because they treat me decent. I take my daughter in there and they answer any of her questions about her bow that I can not answer and they don't bat an eye they welcome the young and the old. They never treat you like a moran for asking the stupid questions either. I have never bought a new bow in my life and they treat me as if I bought it new from them. They are there to make a living just like we are when we go to work but when you come out of a place and you don't feel like you have just been raped you want to keep coming back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Service is the biggest thing. I go to the shop I go to now because the guys take their time and set up the bow to the standard they would want their bow set up to. I also go there because they will not push you into buying anything. But will give you information if you ask about a product.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I drive four hours to deal with Bruce Jameson at the Outdoors Indoors in Pittsburg, Kansas.
If I need something I call him and pick it up next time I'm around.
Common sense bowhunting.
Not this "latest fad" stuff I see here and on TV.
We get a good laugh about some of this stuff.
If you doubt him you can go to Bass Pro in Tulsa or Bass Pro in Springfield to see a couple of his mounts.
Or just check out the 20 or so on the wall of his shop.
He's in it for the love of the game.
Go check him out.

By the way, one of the best taxidermists you'll find at any price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts