Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking into opening a archery shop, starting small and building up, I was wondering how archery shops purchase their products? Do they use a archery wholesale distributor or do they order from each individual company? Looking more for archery accessories, arrows etc, I know they order the bows directly from the manufacturer. Thanks

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
honestly if you are coming here to gather information you should probably find a different place to put the money. the best way to lose money is open an archery store, markup is terrible and people constantly ***** about the price and expect you to match online pricing. do yourself a favor and just take the money out to the firepit and throw it in, at least you get some warmth for a while that way. have 2 stores in Oklahoma selling or closing at this time that have been around lots of years.

·
Registered
11,594 Posts
I had a full time shop/lanes from 1964 thru 1982 & it was a different ball game back then. If you plan on just Archery consider it a working hobby & not a business. I did have a successful business but I also had a full line of Muzzell Loaders & accessories and a large Fishing, live bait to go along with it & I had 15 indoor lanes & property (rented) for an outdoor range/club. I had leagues after Deer season until end of March 4 nights a week & always full plus an outdoor league & tournaments thru summer. If I had a archery shop only it would not have been possible. We have more archers/bowhunters than ever b/4 but so many outlets to buy tackle. There is so much more to the Archery business than loving the sport.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this will be a side business I would be starting, Where i live the closest archery shop is 60 miles away and was thinking of opening something for everyone to have a shop closer. I have looked up distributors and have only seen Lancaster archery and jakes archery. Just looking to see if anyone had any other contacts

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
also get ready for everyone and their dog to expect you to work for free and not charge for labor, free shooting time if you have a range, supplies and discounts on everything. you will soon have lots of new "friends" until you charge them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I wish I could offer insight on the how's and who's, but I cannot. I will say, however, that only you know how much time, effort, and money you are willing to risk. It sounds like an archery shop is going to be a tough row to hoe, and I've seen a few come and go here locally. I've honestly seen none that were archery only survive. I will not say OMG NO! Don't do it you fool! But, I would certainly want to suggest looking at how you can best make it successful. Maybe start a new club and hosting a bunch of local events, or adding in other components (fishing, shooting, etc), or something. I know it sucks to immediately hear how it will just fail, and I'm generally of the mindset that I can make anything work if I work at it...but they are saying watch out for a reason. Risk only what you can afford to risk, and plan for success, even if that means potentially expanding into other avenues. You said it would be a side job, so I suspect you already have considered what you are willing to risk. Either way, good luck!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
The worst thing you can do is listen to everyone tell you what not to do unless they are currently running a successful business. Just because I failed doesn't mean you will. If there is demand for it where you're at, so be it. Do you brother. That being said, contact the manufacturers you're interested in and they will help get you to who you need to talk to.

·
Huntoholic
1,724 Posts
Dealing with the private sector is hard enough, and dealing with the general public is a real pain in the azz, but I know people that do it every day, successfully. You did not give us any information about your level of expertise, I would hope that you are currently well versed with all types of bow setup and repair, I think liability insurance would be on the to do list also.

Fees and permits vary by state, but to buy as a dealer you usually have to prove to the manufacturer or distributor you are a bona fide business, and many have minimum order levels that are high.

So many people have turned a hobby or passion into very profitable businesses, but it is usually the exception and not the norm, it can pay off, it's up to you.
This is how I run my business, and I ask the same of people that I do business with, "Do what you promise, when you promise, no excuses."

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,899 Posts
I think the only way to make money is if you can work out of your home or have a building of your own without rent, if not strike 1, run the business yourself (maybe have your wife help, do the books, etc.) if not strike 2. Stay away from the bow companies that make you buy a big inventory that they dictate and pay it back in 6 months (you will get stuck with a bunch of bows you can't give away when the new bows come out and owe a bunch of money), ever wonder why all those new bows appear at the end of the season and who eats the loss? If not strike 3. I believe Xpedition will allow you to just buy the bows you want. I have a friend that works out of his basement and works full time during the day, he can't get hurt that way. Don't forget about utilities, taxes. insurance, and government interference (I just had the fire marshall come by and make me take my perfectly good fire extinguishers in for certification, $200 gone and they didn't even refill them)! Maybe you should go into the fire extinguisher certification business LOL

·
Registered
11,594 Posts
In your situation, keeping your current job & doing it as a side line with nothing within 60 miles could be rewarding. I'm the last to say no, don't. I started in the home & ended with two full time shops/lanes in 2 different towns for nearly 20 years. Yes, your friends will "want" special treatment & that's tough for them to understand your "in business". Sharing your costs is none of their business. Accessories will be the items you will get your most % profit from & that's where your inventory "expertise" for "your" area comes into play. Any given area has certain items that move the best. Big stores have the ability to send to another store/geographical area. You don't. It sells or you eat it. Bow companies that make/mfg other items are places to start looking at being a supplier. You can't stock everything so your 1st choices have to be thought out. BUY where you get the best discounts. I got large enough to be a small time distributer on several items. Example a $100 item I got a 50% + 10% + 10% discount. that is $50 off = my cost $50 - 10% = $45 ($5 off) -10% ($4.50) = $40.50 my cost PLUS SHIPPING added to that. So on a $100 item I sold to a dealer at the standard 40% off & that $100 item cost them $60 + shipping. I made $40 on a $100 sale wholesale compared to $59.50 retail (roughly). Today, the shop owner AND the retail buyer are both "wise shoppers"..
SERVICE & Customer satisfaction goes a very long ways. Good luck & know your products & everything about them. Your customer expects you to be able to fix & answer all their needs, questions.. The front of that 1st full time shop/lanes in 1964. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
51,165 Posts
I’m looking into opening a archery shop, starting small and building up, I was wondering how archery shops purchase their products? Do they use a archery wholesale distributor or do they order from each individual company? Looking more for archery accessories, arrows etc, I know they order the bows directly from the manufacturer. Thanks
Do a search on this very subject. Unless you have deep pockets, can afford to put your life savings on the line and willing to lose it, never turn a hobby into a business if you love your hobby.

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
Lots of distributors to get product, problem is starting out you will learn that high volume dealers get better pricing!

I managed and worked in a shop for years and without other products that shop would not have made it’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
252 Posts
I think you will find that you need to become a business before any distributor will deal with you. Get your state and federal tax ID, then contact Kinsey's or some other large distributor. Most will have a minimum dollar amount for each order and you will have to buy multiples of each item you order.
Dale

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
Customer Service - that is how a local shop is successful. He has done a great job with his shop and makes decent money but he puts in a lot of time, is personable and they fix anything that comes in the door. Finding the right location is also huge. Archery shops with shooting lanes take up lots of square footage.

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,133 Posts
As a former shop part owner I can give you a bit of real life advice.

First, figure out how much you are worth and get that amount of insurance. Assuming you will do the work on your property somewhere, that property, all that property, could be taken in a lawsuit.

Second, make sure you get a business license. Do everything, including ALL taxes, according to the law. Don't skimp. Ever.

Now, start talking to distributors. Some, like Lancaster, require a storefront to set up an account.

It's a long road if you want to do it legitimately. I have a full shop in my basement and I do a little work from time to time for friends but no money or in kind items change hands.

·
Registered
291 Posts
There should be a great market for second hand archery shops. The market is flooded out for years unless someone develops a real fast bow with accuracy and all the bells n whistles. Anyway, if I had time and money and it was my passion I'd be all over facebook groups, AT, craigslist, ebay. Etc and picking up used 1000 plus bows for 3 to 5 hundred bucks. Market up a hundred are two tune them and sell them on the floor.

Then you can grab assessories the same way, you could also set up s ordering system where your customers tell you what they want and you go find it. I do that for novice friends all the time saving them money!

·
Registered
148 Posts
good luck if you go through with this. Seems like a crazy hard business to be in with how competitive online pricing is these days.

·
Registered
51,165 Posts
There should be a great market for second hand archery shops. The market is flooded out for years unless someone develops a real fast bow with accuracy and all the bells n whistles. Anyway, if I had time and money and it was my passion I'd be all over facebook groups, AT, craigslist, ebay. Etc and picking up used 1000 plus bows for 3 to 5 hundred bucks. Market up a hundred are two tune them and sell them on the floor.

Then you can grab assessories the same way, you could also set up s ordering system where your customers tell you what they want and you go find it. I do that for novice friends all the time saving them money!
Buying and then selling USED archery equipment is a bigger money pit than dealing new. Exactly why our shop doesn't do it. Buy it used, invest the time and money to bring it up to snuff to sell, your profit is gone bye, bye.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts