Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
6,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the market for some new outer gear for my cold weather hunts. I was tired of sitting on the stand all day freezing. After reading some reviews and looking around on the internet, I settled for the Arctic Shield H3.1 bibs, parka and head cover.

After receiving them, I was very impressed with the looks and feel. The quality of the garments was top notch. There were plenty of pockets on the parka including two zippered inside pockets. The bibs had two side pockets and two rear (nice zippered/button leggings). The front main pockets of the parka and bibs are secured by two buttons.
The material is a suede type material that is silent…..SILENT. I read some reviews about how the H3 was made with loud, noisy material, but I can assure you, the H3.1 is not noticeable even in extreme cold.

Saturday was opening day of muzzleloader here in Ohio and I went out in the evening. The wind chill was at about 3 degrees. Let me tell you, it was freaking COLD. I figured what better day to test out my new gear! I put on a light base layer bottom and no light top. I then added a fleece top and bottom to the mix. This is all I wore underneath. Bibs and parka went on top of the baselayers.

I set out about 2:15 and reached my climber in about 15 minutes. The wind was hitting me in the back at about 10mph with gusts to about 20mph. It didn’t bother me a bit and the material certainly stopped the wind. I made the mistake of wearing my parka in instead of packing it. I was sweating just a bit, but even more when I got my climber up and ready. I knew I was going to get cold pretty quick. I sat on stand until dark in complete comfort. At the most, I felt cool but never cold. My toes and fingers were a little icy, but everything else was comfy. I did notice my neck was a little cold on the back but I only had a UA Coldgear baklava and the Arctic Shield cap. My head stayed completely warm though. This was mainly my fault, the parka does come with a hood but I took it off. I also noticed my knees were cooler than the rest of my body but not bad at all. I figured it was because the material was compressed at the bend of the knee not allowing the insulating properties to work.

I went out again today with the temperature hanging at about 26. I did add the hood but never needed it. I was absolutely warm the entire time out. I used to get cold within about 1 hour and ready to pack it in. I really hated fighting through the cold just to get a hunt in. I am very pleased with the fit and finish of the H3.1 parka and bibs as well as the technologies built in to it. Money well spent and I would do it again in a heartbeat. If you are in the market for some new cold gear, I would defiantly check out Arctic Shield.

:darkbeer::darkbeer:

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,162 Posts
Great review James! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Thats a good review to me. I might go pick me up a set

·
6,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats a good review to me. I might go pick me up a set
As I said, I'm a wuss when it comes to cold. This stuff works as advertised. I noticed the sweat from the walk in was wicked out of my base layers. When I got home, the base layers were dry and the Arctic Shield stuff was damp. Left it hang up and was good to go for today. I knew I should have packed the parka in but broke my own rule and didn't.

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
As I said, I'm a wuss when it comes to cold. This stuff works as advertised. I noticed the sweat from the walk in was wicked out of my base layers. When I got home, the base layers were dry and the Arctic Shield stuff was damp. Left it hang up and was good to go for today. I knew I should have packed the parka in but broke my own rule and didn't.
I got the H6 parka and the H4 pants and that is my experience as well. Warm, quiet, comfortable--and I don't wear my parka in or I am drenched. I hang it on my climber. I love the stuff. I hunted this morning when the thermometer said 10 degrees and was comfortable.

·
New Philadelphia
146 Posts
Were is a good place to buy this stuff,,, bass pro and cabelas are both about a 2 hour drive for me. Is it a true to size fit? thanks

·
6,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Were is a good place to buy this stuff,,, bass pro and cabelas are both about a 2 hour drive for me. Is it a true to size fit? thanks
I'm about 5'9" @ 180 and ordered the large parka and bibs. Both fit well with plenty of room for layering. I took the chance and ordered online from Bass Pro. The price isn't too terrible either, I believe you can pick up both for about $240 or wait until Bass Pro advertises their 6 pay plan. It's about 13 degrees out right now and I can't wait to get back out and hunt this morning. I always dreaded getting out but don't worry about it now.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Good news, picked up a pair of the bibs to hunt hogs in the snow this weekend!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts