Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a bow off Ebay that came with a Toxonics sight and I believe a cheap Chek-it scope. When at full draw the sight picture is not clear. Are all scopes blurry? Or is this just a low quality scope?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
What size peep?

You will find that some scopes are clearer than others. You might want to use the smallest peep you can find, usually a .020" micro peep. This will decrease the amount of light hitting the back of your eye, but it will claer the image. If that doesn't work, slide the scope in closer to the bow and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, throw it in the trash and get yourself a CR Apex scope with a 4x or 6x lens.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Possibly this is just my ignorance, but......could the blurryness be the result of having too high a power lens without the use of a clarifier peep?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Scope

A low priced scope will not have the best optical lens, which means distortion/bleary,
a high power lens - more the X4 or X6 will also cause problems,

you can (in order of cost) - get a small holed peep (-not good in low light), a clarifier lens (-green) or buy a quality scope.

Good shooting,

Mike.

·
Registered
286 Posts
check out the truespot scopes. i believe that bullseye(?) handles them.

i use one and it is great. even without clarifier i shoot it well. it is different in that the center spot magnifies the bullseye and allows you to see the surrounding target clearly.

no dot to try and focus on and develop target panic.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
If your eyes are good and your scope is 4 to 6 power it will be blurry because your eyes don't need the focal length correction the scope is providing. They make clarierfier peep lense to get rid of the effect.

I know I got my eyes fixed and now my scope is causing the target to be blurry. I just took the lens out of the housing and put in a pin for now..

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
also sounds to me you have too high power of lens a 2 0r 3 power lens will be less blury.

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
I agree with Bees and Archeryaddict. It sounds like the scope has too much magnification for your eyes. I use a 6X and even an 8X scope on my bows without a clarifier peep due to my poor eye sight and they aren't blurry for me; but if someone with good eyes looks thru them they ask me how I can see thru them. I also shoot with Trifocals! :(

Dick

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
Before you all start telling that what the powers are that you can see well with, try to use the diopter ratings so every one will know what we are talking about. that is not the only thing there is to know. how far is the sight extended from your eye. the farther from your eye ,the more the magnification, & the more the fuzziness. just as an example here, my sight is 31" from my eye, using a 1 diopter (6x) 7 my OBS clarifier, i can call arrows at 60 yds.
Mike

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Speaking for myself Mike I can more readily relate to the x power than the diopter, Would you mind equating diopter to power so us heathens have a better understanding of it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
there is also a school of thought that you don't necessarily want a crystal clear picture if you are using a high power scope......
using higher power scopes enlarges the x-ring to the point that it may be very close to all that you see in a small diameter scope. with a crsytal clear image you will see every arrow hole, if you happen to blast a hole off the x-ring you will be susceptable to being sucked into that hole on every shot, if part of that hole is out of the x ring it will cost you x's. we've all been victims of the "archery sucks" phenomona. the slightly blurry picture will help to lessen this problem by making the hole just a bit less attractive. also, with high power lenses, your shaking is greatly exaggerated as well, a slightly blurry picture will still give you the same enlarged x-ring as a clear picture, but will help to make the shaking slightly less noticable.. i know that if i am using a lower power, 3-4 i like to have it crystal clear, but if i go to an 8 power i have to fuzz it up a bit. six seems to be the perfect compromise for me, i can have it good and clear, the shaking isn't bad, but it will lock me into big holes if it is really crystal clear. unless of course, that big hole is right dead center, then i want to see all i can of it!:)

·
Registered
359 Posts
NAT. Had same problem and the smaller peep worked. Roger the powerful scopes tendency to exxagerate any and all movement. 3-4x seems adequate for indoor shooting but eyesight drives this. By the way Chek-It sights (of which I have bought several off e-bay) were at one time considered the Cadilac of target sights. The ones with the metal thumb screws are much better than than the plastic screws. The block comes off easily which is a downside to an older Toxonics I have. Problem with the Chek-IT was the 8/32" scope scew vs the 10/32" with Sure Loc and Toxonics. Now they are out of business may become a collectors item

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all of the advice guys. I am not sure of the scopes magnifying power, but it has +100 written on the outside of the scope housing. Anyone know what this means?
I will have to try a peep with a smaller aperature. The peep on the bow now is fairly large because I used it for hunting.
It sounds like these clarifiers you are talking about are made to eliminate this blurryness? To provide a better sight picture? I do not plan to do much indoor shooting, mostly 3D and am not sure I want to mess with a clarifier. From what I have read here on AT they get dirty and are trouble in certain light conditions and inclimate weather.
I have noticed that the scope is clearer as it is moved closer to the eye and I may need to use the shorter sight bar. Anyone using GKF scopes? How are they?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Never saw the +100 notation but it may actually be a +1 diopter. All have there own pecularities but usually people use scopes when they want to magnify the bull at say a 80yd Field Target. For you you mant not want to use a scope at all. Besides in can put you in a different shooting class. The idea behing different size pins on those type of sights is at long yardages a .40 pin may obliterate the bull where a .19 pin may not. I have a scope lens that I installed a ring and dot reticle and in bright light outside I can't see the aiming point. I will likely have to goto a drilled lens with a F.O. pin in it. Some friends seem to like the scope with 3 .f.o. pins just inside the kens which allows them to have 3 distances to use for 3 D.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts