Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking about buying a Vital Bow Gear sight (Vitalizer) w/the black light for an extra 20 bucks...will I use it or should I lose it?

Is it impractical??? How long can you leave these things on before they burn out??? Is it bothersome or clumbsy to turn on when ready to shoot a buck????

Need some practical advice!!!!

D

·
0 Posts
lots of guys using them...

...or starting to...

...myself...I put a piece of 'velcro" on the riser and attach one of those little "keyring" lights you can turn on/off when needed...lasts a LONG TIME!!!...cheap to replace...makes the pin(s) stick out like a sore thumb!!:) ...

...but LARRY POPPA has one of the BEST battery operated "lighted pin" sights I've seen to date...I forget what it's called...but it's real nice!!...

...good luck...

>>>---DD--->;)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Light

Pope & Young says no lights of anykind for recognition to P&Y
For 3d they do seem to come in Handy.

The sight Dondeere is referring to is indeed a sweet light
His web site is:
www.lparcheryproducts.com/index.html
His light has lights for sights and flashlights to get you to the stand and which will keep your light below the tree line

Several pros have been using them in the area for 3-d

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I use the electrasight from cobra, it has 3 pins and a light bar that illuminates the pins even in total darkness. This sight works great in very low light. I have used it for 2 years, no complaints. But it is not P&Y legal, but then again, neither is 80% let off.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Lighted sights tend to be blinding in lowlight conditions.

Lighted sights can sometimes be seen by deer since they "glow" in lowlight conditions (happened to my father, movement spots by a deer by periphial vision...could have been him, could have been the lighted sight...although he shot several deer out of this stand before the sight without a problem)

P&Y will not accept deer taken with lighted sights.

I find fiber optic to be much more practical under all conditions. I shoot the SME Bighorn Millenium with fiber wrapped around the sight housing. Great sight!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Not intending to start a war, but I don't see the need for lights. I can still see my fiber pins when it's well past the legal time to hunt, and past the time I would shoot deer anyway even if there was no time limit. Decent fiber optics should still show up decent even when you can't see 20 yards, much less 5 yards through a peep.

Unless you're talking about some special cases on dark 3-D courses or some other situation I guess I'm in the "dark" (pun intended) about lighted sights.

peashooter

·
Custom callmaker
3,463 Posts
I totaly agree with peashooter. In my state if you looked at the actual closing times you will notice that it is pretty light out when the times up. Its still easy to see regular fiber optics. I only see the lights to be aiding in the violations that occur when you try to extend the hunt to the last possible moment. WE have had the wardens actually start to crack down on extended hunting.
But the sight would be usefull for dark 3-d as I have shot some pretty late starts. Or if your eyesight is getting pretty bad.

·
Registered
876 Posts
photon

i have a photon 2 key ring light. works great and only costs $15.00. you can look them up on the internet under photon 2.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Correction,

P&Y says nothing electrical on the bow.

I use a tritium pin which is P&Y legal and 'stays on' for years.

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
What BowhunterNJ says. Some of the wrapped fiber sites are much more practical and no battery to go out at the wrong moment.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Don:

Based on your avatar, I assume you are a target shooter as well? So, this goes without saying, but the tritium pins suffer from two downfalls:

1) The house radioactive material within the pin itself
2) The pin itself is rather large, in both tritium models compared to fiber optic sight options.

But, if you are happy with it, and shooting well...that's all that matters.

I just know my group size improved greatly when I went away from tritium pins and went with fiber, simply due to the diameter of the pin.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I use the Mepro on my hunting bows. The big tip is not a problem for me on a hunting bow.

For spots, I prefer an apeture that brackets the spot, letting me see what I want to hit. This (for me) cancels target panic. This is a much different sight picture than even the smallest fiber optic presents.

With regard to the Mepro containing nuclear material. Tritium has a radioactive half life of 12.3 years. When tritium undergoes radioactive decay, it is transformed into nonradioactive helium through emission of a beta particle from its nucleus. Tritium's beta particles have a very low penetrating ability—not enough to penetrate skin. Thus, as long as it is outside the body, tritium represents no hazard.

Atmospheric tests of nuclear weapons in the 1950s and 1960s produced a large portion of the tritium now in the environment. Fortunately, this inventory will continue to decrease by 50% every 12.3 years as long as no more nuclear weapons are tested, and the Paki's and Indians or the USA and Koreans don't get into a nuclear exchange. Tritium from underground testing is considered an unlikely source of atmospheric tritium.

So as long as I don't eat my Mepro pin, I'll be OK.

·
Registered
321 Posts
NERD ALERT!!!

;)

Actually I think you could eat like 10,000 sets of tritium sights and still only equal the power of a dental Xray.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts