I shot a deer and it was stolen
I caught some trespassers
I caught some poachers
I caught some spotlighters
I found a deer with just it's head cut off
Another hunter set up within yards of me
I know guys that don't practice and then go hunting
Etc

Are there that many deadbeat hunters out there? That many slobs? That many thieves? Are the guys that try to do it the right and ethical way the minority these days? I don't want to believe that is the case, but it's sure disheartening to read all these threads. :mad: :cry:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Bad Hunters

I know alot of hunters around my area are only concerned with BIG RACKS and they will do anything to get them PERIOD :mad:

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
nah I think that people just don't bother to write that they bumped into a fellow hunter in WalMart and he was a good dude...Flingr

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Droptine4 said:
I know alot of hunters around my area are only concerned with BIG RACKS and they will do anything to get them PERIOD :mad:
That is because u live in Ill....Wv and Va are very respectful and only shoot something if it moves and only steals something that is not theres...LMAO

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Perhaps.......it's bad news, or movements are heard the loudest.

These people are the MINORITY, and it's up to the MAJORITY to do our part and take the HIGHER road by setting a good example.

·
33,181 Posts
I had some chit stolen one year. Turned out theh guy didn't even hunt. I guess just steeling is enough for some people.:mad:

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
gmherps said:
Back to the original question: YES!!!! And WE as ETHICAL one's need to change that!!!
I would agree more with Aroflinger. Rarely does anybody say that a guy they met while hunting did something nice.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
A thief is a thief regardless whether or not he/she happens to hunt. The sad fact is that dirtbags like that can be found in all walks of life. Not sure it's so much a reflection of our sport as it is of our society as a whole.

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
It's a good question, and I do wonder what the answer really is.

I see an awful lot of unethical things going on while hunting, and I'm not talking about boarderline stuff either. I'm talking the stuff that gives hunters an overall bad reputation with the public.

That said, I do believe that on average...bowhunters are more likely to practice strong ethics and hunt only by legal means than gun hunters are.:wink:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Where I am from originally (northern PA), it seems that 'hunting' is riding around in a truck on opening day with a high powered rifle and a case a beer. Or leaving a party in the middle of the night with all of the above plus a spotlight.

·
Registered
201 Posts
first off if a person does any of those things he is not a hunter or a sportsman
and I do not associate with them. A hunter or sportsman has ethics and respects other hunters, landowners, and the law.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
If you come across 50 nice people in a day and one jerk, you will probably tell everyone about the jerk, and forget the good people. I think its a case of the bad news spreads the fastest. I have had a tree stand stolen before though. It really sucked because it ruined my sons youth hunt which by the way was his first time he ever went bowhunting. It tore me up to see the look on his face. What a memory of your first time bowhunting. I wish the s.o.b. who took the stand could have seen his reaction. I think our kill tags should allow us a slob hunter as an option also.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I try and practice ethical safe hunting, my hunting buddies and me don't shoot it unless we are going to eat it. We don't stop looking till we find it. we respect the farmers land and help him as much as we can. All I can say is some of us were raised with morals and ethics and they are still being taught to our kids.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Bigk1968 said:
I try and practice ethical safe hunting, my hunting buddies and me don't shoot it unless we are going to eat it. We don't stop looking till we find it. we respect the farmers land and help him as much as we can. All I can say is some of us were raised with morals and ethics and they are still being taught to our kids.
amen!!!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
To answer the question- no.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Are ethical hunters the minority?
Only if one sets the bar so high that only a certain few qualify as ethical.

-----

Just remember. Out of 10,000 hunters, the one that makes a horse's rear end out of himself grabs the headlines, while the other 9,999 often are ignored.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
There is scum at all levels that has to be skimmed off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
no ethical hunters are not the minority. But just like everything else, people seem to talk more about the bad then the good. :wink:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
WYBowman said:
no ethical hunters are not the minority. But just like everything else, people seem to talk more about the bad then the good. :wink:
My thoughts exactly:darkbeer: how often do we rember the person who lets us merge in a construction zone ?
but go out of youre way to stuff me and boy I know Ill never forget what youre silver audi wagon with NY plates looks like or the collor lipstick you ware:wink: (just let it go and count to 10 my butt:rolleyes: ) like most things the bad apple seams to spoil the whole bunch! maby just move it aside and get the one next to it:)

Ps no offense intended to any one who drives a silver audi with NY plates cause we all know PA drivers are the best:ROFLMAO: :wink:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts