·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, approximately how much?

·
run'em
711 Posts
I guess one could look at the cross sectional area of the front profile of the broad head. More area would equal more drag. However the fletching profile has a much larger effect on wind resistance and slowing an arrow down.

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
Unless you had two chronographs, one at the bow and one at the target, I don't know how you would be able to tell a difference.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Is it even worth thinking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heck good question... but now that I "think" about it, if a fixed blade and mechanical hit the exact same surface or animal... I would imagine the mechanical would slow down, lose more energy, more than the fixed.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,257 Posts
Not at bowhunting distances...

My BH's impact with my FP's at 50yds.....and that's with a big 150gr 3 blade...or a 2 blade 150.
If the friction of the BH was a factor, then your BH's will impact lower.....which I do see in my setup at 60plus.

_____

·
Registered
Compound and bare bow recurve.
646 Posts
At 50 yards and under my fixed heads fly right with my mechanicals and field points. I have shot fixed and mechanicals thru the chonograph and they are the same speed when using the same arrows, when leaving the bow.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Yep, I shoot fixed blades out to 60 yards while practicing and they don't drop any more that field tips. I would think they might be slower, but not enough for me to determine. I am one of those guys who wants to eliminate variables, so I shoot only fixed.
Ches.

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,377 Posts
Yes. Unless all archery tinkering isn’t worth thinking about. Pin elevation adjustment is important to me.
Absolutely not in any meaningful or measurable way at ranges you should be using them. No need for pin elevation adjustment.

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
Slower broadheads wont kill the same as a fast one lol
Not necessarily true! Ask the heavy arrow crowd. When bone is contacted, slow and heavy beats fast and light all day, every day. But fast and heavy is even better! LOL.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Fixed blade broadheads have more exposed surface area than most mechanicals, therefore, they slow down quicker due to air drag. The extent of drag depends on the amount of surface area. A similar comparison can be made between straight and helical fletched arrows. Straight arrows maintain speed longer due to less wind drag. Helical fletchings, by design, have controlled drag that quickly stabilizes the arrow. The advantage is better accuracy with broadheads because deflections due to errant releases or contact with a leaf or twig can be quickly stabilized. The disadvantage is a slight decrease in speed versus straight fletched arrows, especially beyond 30 yards.

I used 3 degree helical fletchings and fixed blade broadheads, and I get very consistent and accurate performance out to 60 yards. I have tested mechanicals with straight and helical fletchings, and I saw no advantage to the slight increase in speed, especially when using a laser rangefinder.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,257 Posts
Agreed At distances I Archery hunt any difference would be negligible. Wind drift may play in more than velocity.
Good point. The aerodynamic shape of BH's makes wind friction a non issue at bowhunting distances.....but from the side, in the case of a cross wind will have an affect....[including the fletching]

Guys look at BH's and they assume friction....but the fat its not measurable in the short 50 yds and under distances we mostly shoot is the key takeaway.

Now if you are out there shooting 120yd shots....yep....its going to be measurable.

_____

1 - 20 of 26 Posts