Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know muck boots are warm, but my question is, are they a good choice for sitting in very cold weather? I am hunting this week in frigid temps and need to keep my feet warm while sitting. I was thinking muck boots with big socks or a couple pairs of socks would be the best bet. And it would be easy to throw some hand warmers in if my feet get cold. I have the woody sport mucks, not sure if that makes any difference. So, will muck boots keep me warm?

I have never wore them hunting because they are so uncomfortable and bulky and no ankle support for the mountains, but they seem like the ticket for sitting with a short walk to the stand.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Don't think the woody sport ones would be that warm, but the attic pro's are. I've never had any luck with the chemical warmers in my mucks. They don't breathe enough for them to have a chemical reaction. They go cold then you can actually pull them out of the boot and they get warm again

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Team #9
8,638 Posts
Muck Arctic pro are very warm...but my Muck Pursuit Supreme's are only comfortable down to 18 degrees for long sits...supreme's
are awesome to walk in, like an active boot .. Muck Arctic Pros is what you want in super cold ....

·
Registered
519 Posts
Artic pros with a good sock liner and 95% or better merino wool socks is about as good as it gets. The only thing more you can do is add boot covers. Make sure they are loose enough to layer the socks. Too tight and they will freeze your feet

·
Registered
28,219 Posts
Muck Arctic pro are very warm...but my Muck Pursuit Supreme's are only comfortable down to 18 degrees for long sits...supreme's
are awesome to walk in, like an active boot .. Muck Arctic Pros is what you want in super cold ....

Agreed on the pursuit supremes. Great for walking but not good for cold weather sits.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
I know that there will be those who disagree with me, but there is NO ALL-RUBBER boot that will keep your feet warm for long in real cold weather. Your feet will be warm in the short term, but as soon as your feet sweat enough and moisture builds up in the boot, your feet WILL get cold (even with wool socks). To keep your feet warm, you should have a boot that allows moisture to escape easily. If the path to my stand is dry, the best thing I've found for warm feet are wool socks, sneakers and really warm modified boot blankets. (I cut a 3/4" closed cell hot seat to fit in the bottom of my boot blankets. If you are standing on a metal treestand the stand will conduct a ton of heat away from your feet thru your soles. The closed cell foam will stop that.)

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I dont think you will be able to just wear just the Muck boots....I have the Woody Max Muck boots and they are not good in the very cold....however, I bought a pair of the Icebreaker over boots 2 years ago and that combo is all I use..yesterday it was 5 degrees and I sat for 5 hours...no problems ....I have heard good things about the Artic shield overboots but I have never tried those
Good Luck

·
Registered
18,320 Posts
If it is around 0 I switch from my mucks to my La Crosse Ice Kings & can sit all day with toasty feet.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I'm a Muck boots fan from way back but when it gets ice fishing weather i switch to a traditional boot that breathes. My feet sweat walking in and that does not work with rubber boots when temps are in the teens or below.

·
Registered
922 Posts
If you put too thick socks in any boot, your circulation will suffer and your feet will get cold.
I stay warm enough in my Muck Woody Max boots with just a mid weight wool sock.

I also don't put much faith in any boot being "breathable". I sweat just as much in gortex as I do in rubber. The only true breathable boot is one that is Non-waterproof and vented.

Wear your Mucks in with a light sock, change socks at your stand to a mid weight wool, and you should be good.
For extreme cold I have a pair of 2 sizes too big pac boots that I can use with heavy socks. They are like an inferno. I only use them for purely sedentary activities. Cabelas Extreme Predator boots.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
So I know muck boots are warm, but my question is, are they a good choice for sitting in very cold weather? I am hunting this week in frigid temps and need to keep my feet warm while sitting. I was thinking muck boots with big socks or a couple pairs of socks would be the best bet. .
Frigid ? Us upper Midwest boys would hunt in sandals in West Virgina temps . Hahaha. I wore uninsulated lacrosse Alpha Burleys into the low teens with a light pair of wool socks for 3-5 hour sits .

847A3753-FE49-4791-9029-73015ABABEFD.png

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have the wetlands. They are ok but my feet sweat. If it’s in low 20’s my feet freeze

·
I like big buffs!
4,291 Posts
Wood Max won't keep your feet warm. My feet usually stay warm, but if it's below mid 30's I'm going with a traditional insulated leather boot.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I wear Mucks all winter at -20F installing water main. Sometimes I wear Arctic Sports, but I prefer the lightness of Edgewaters year round. For sitting, Mucks won't be the best choice. If you are walking or active, they are great. I do however wear sandals to town at the same -20 so YMMV.

·
Banned
19,441 Posts
I have the Muck Woody Max and I wouldn't for one second consider them a cold weather boot. But cold is a relative term. Currently it's -10F here, looking at -20F this eveing when things cool off. The Woody Max's would be sufficient if I was snowblowing or constantly moving but my feet would be frozen solid in these temps if I sat for 10 minutes. Coldest I go with my mucks without boot blankets is mid 30's. Once it drops below freezing I break out the pack boots.

·
team whacknstack
3,206 Posts
nope, not on my feet there not

1 - 20 of 50 Posts