Archery Talk Forum banner

Are multi colored strings as good as all black...

891 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Limey 
#1 ·
Would a set of strings in one color, say all black, be the best OR truest form of strings? Or would having multi colored strings be just as good? I see all these multi colored strings being shown in the string threads, and it occured to me that the strings might be different enough to affect the overall quality of the total string.

Seems like it would be much harder to make them with all these colors, but maybe all these colors makes it easier for the string maker to keep track of the pattern, if you will?

Just a thought!

I'm about to order a string set & it crossed my mind.

#3 ·
There are some small benifits from having the string all 1 color, but a "GOOD" string builder can build multicolor sets that are very, very, very close in quality.
The 2 biggest benifits of just using 1 color is uniform tension is easier to achieve (note I said "easier") and the second pro is you only have 2 loose ends under all that serving opsosed to 4 loose ends. depending on what the builder does with those loose ends will determine if that fact is even valid:wink:.

#4 ·
Actually, I build a single color just like a two color and cut the string in half to produce 4 tag ends. In this way, I can pad the loop serving at each end to produce the same transition.

You do occassion run the risk of producing a two color string which will rotate because one color of material is slightly different that the other. I had 3 spools of material which didn't like to play with the others. It is rare though.

You can get into three and four colors. Then you start having a little bit more trouble getting the proper tension in them and keeping the colors seperate. I have made these, but don't offer them for sale generally.

#5 ·
I have made single colors as well as double and tricolored strings. This is enough for most people I haven't had anyone request a 4 color thought it would be easy enough to do. It's been my experience that multicolored strings have the same level of performance as a single color string. The quality of the string is going to be more a matter of how well it was built, which applies for single colors as well as multicolors. Right now every bow in my house has 3 colored strings including my target bow as well as my hunting bow. I have some picts of 3 colors on my profile page should you be interested in viewing them.

#6 ·
The main advantage of a single colour string is weight consistancy.

There is a very small weight variation between certain dye colours so have one colour stops this.

Personally I prefer the look of 2 colour strings and I doubt if any one could notice the weight difference having an effect especially if the string has a resonable number of twists in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.