Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Slingin' Arrows
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been mostly a compound target shooter and have done a little hunting. For the past year I've been playing with a Primal Gear folding survival bow and loving it. My question is... would this be accepted in the trad community? I know it's not really traditional, but does it fit the profile enough that people might be like, "sure let's see how you shoot that thing." but might be like, "No, you can't shoot that here." I'll also mention that as a competition trained archer, I anchor like an olympic recurve would and have a piece of electrical tape in the sight window marked ar 1/4 inch intervals. I'd like to do some 3d shoots this summer, just not sure how to classify this set-up. Would I be accepted at trad events, or should I stick to open 3d?

Any thoughts...

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
With those markings no, without yes.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,248 Posts
Marks in the sight window are not accepted in any competition barebow class whether World Archery, NFAA or IBO. I suspect that it is not allowed in ASA either.

You can use Olympic style form to shoot a traditional bow. I do it with a couple of modification. I shoot three under unless I am 70 meters or longer. And I move my anchor up to either index or middle finger in the corner of my mouth.

Other than that. go at it. The problem with under the chin, which I was using on Saturday with my Olympic bow, is that is makes your point on way to far for traditional distances. I don't even need to do it to get 90 meters with my WA barebow.

I have the advantage of a long draw which helps me store more energy.

Take the tape off and you should not have a problem. Always check the rules for whatever organization is holding the shoot to ensure that you are legal. You can always compete up in class. If you want to keep the tape on then you can compete against Olympic recurves. I think pretty much anything can be used in compound freestyle.

·
Registered
10,051 Posts
I don't think traditional shooters would have a problem with the bow itself, but as mentioned those markings would likely be an issue.

That said, of all the amazing traditional bows available (new or used), why not get something a bit more enjoyable to shoot? Those survival bows are not known for being particularly fast or comfortable.

Not to be pushy, of course. If you're enjoying yourself that's all that matters!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Around here club shoots rules are barely even guidelines based loosely on WA3D so if it was here you would have zero problems!

Back in the UK, the body covering "field" (3D) had many rules and classifications for gear that was pretty rigid.

If your shoots are sanctioned by an organisation then you would likely have to find your place in their classifications, you might want to find out if thats the case and post who's rules you intend following to get a solid answer.

Always fancied trying one off those bows for a laugh and maybe stick one in the Justin Case

·
Slingin' Arrows
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, with markings it's really a bowhunter class, but the bowhunter class in NFAA states a sight with no more than five pins, so what does a piece of tape on the riser with a dozen markings mean? I'd like to get confident enough to lose the tape. I think I need to work with a higher anchor for gap shooting. Regarding Kegan's comment on a better bow, perhaps in the future. But for now this is fun, and I like the idea of taking something a lot of people laugh at and learning to shoot it well. Also testing my theory that it doesn't matter what you shoot, but how well you shoot it.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
My advice is don't waste money on any "survival / folding bow" if u want to dive into trad archery or any kind of proper archery.

U will be much better off buying a sub $200 Sage type bow or even sub $100 Mandarinduck type bow.

Btw, Galaxy Archery now makes the Sage n is selling on Lancaster, along with a few other trad rigs.

However I think the Galaxy Ember Recurve / Reflex Deflex longbow is still the performance & quality king in a budget. The next runner up is Bearpaw Mohican.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
But hey, u can shoot a toy bow if u like, its all personal preference n skills.

But I won't lie to u, if u have the skills to shoot a "survival bow/toy bow" on par with all other shooters using proper gears......limiting urself on such improper gear is an ignorant, as u are refusing to establish reasoning over personal preference.

There is a difference between shooting against higher gear n shooting with improper gear.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
If u are really really low on budget, a Rolan Snake ~ type all fiberglass one piece bow will serve u well over a folding survival bow.

·
Registered
10,051 Posts
Regarding Kegan's comment on a better bow, perhaps in the future. But for now this is fun, and I like the idea of taking something a lot of people laugh at and learning to shoot it well. Also testing my theory that it doesn't matter what you shoot, but how well you shoot it.
I can completely understand the feeling, and you're absolutely correct. With enough skill you can indeed shoot any bow style well... but there are much more pleasant handicaps.

The lowly $150 Sage is another "under dog" bow you could establish your skill with while also offering better performance, more forgiveness, and an overall more pleasant shooting experience- particularly with a high quality string. You might also want to try building your own selfbow. It can be very rewarding shooting your own bow well.

However it is your experience, no one else's, and whatever gives you the biggest smile counts!

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
I own several quality bows including one that Kegan built but I've thought about getting one of those bows. The attractive thing about them is that the glass limbs slide down into an aluminum tube making it compact to carry and just about indestructible.

I never got around to getting one of those but I did find an old Paul Bunion solid glass bow a few years ago...one of those with the molded dual shelf handle. I guess you could call it a "toy" but it's a toy that can kill stuff and it really doesn't shoot all that bad.

I often pack it along on canoe fishing/camping trips where it may not get used but will, almost certainly, get wet and banged around but can't take up much room. I wouldn't do that to my other bows.

They're more than enough bow to do some fishing, hunting or plinking at targets of opportunity along the river.

·
Slingin' Arrows
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But hey, u can shoot a toy bow if u like, its all personal preference n skills.

But I won't lie to u, if u have the skills to shoot a "survival bow/toy bow" on par with all other shooters using proper gears......limiting urself on such improper gear is an ignorant, as u are refusing to establish reasoning over personal preference.

There is a difference between shooting against higher gear n shooting with improper gear.
Who said reasoning had any part in this? I'm well aware it's not the greatest bow. The question was if I could shoot it at a trad event. There is no wood on it and some trad guys in the US might poo poo that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts