Archery Talk Forum banner

Are the late crops messing with your hunting?

886 Views 16 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  Shouldernuke!
Just wondering if the late harvest this year is messing with your hunting at all. I am a farmer and a hunter and want my corn out for both reasons. I will say though, I am glad that harvest is during season this year though because in my experiance a fresh shelled corn field usually is a good place to sit.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2,381 Posts
I would say its keeping everything slowed down here. Beans are probably 70% done and corn is just started. Corn is still 18%-20% :confused: but it can snow at the end of the month so once the mud dries up I think it will be game on and we'll get dinged on drying and shrink.

· Registered
4,178 Posts
NOPE!

Been too hot to hunt anyway.

· Registered
2,111 Posts
still have corn standing all around me but it dont matter, its just too dang hot to hunt and if the heat dont drive ya out them blood thirsty skeeters will.i have a thermacell but between the heat and skeeters it feels more like work than a enjoyable hunt.

· Registered
19,079 Posts
No. I love it since most of my serious hunting is done late season after firearms. late standing crops means more hiding places for big bucks that may have a chance of making it thru.

· Fat Jesus
29,133 Posts
I'm up in N.W. Iowa, they are starting to get some of the corn out now, been working on the beans the last couple weeks really hard. We had rain yesterday so that slowed them down some and suppose to get more rain tomorrow. I'll be glad to see the corn come out, our hunting sucks with all the corn in. Where I live the habitat is about 95% corn and the other 5% is a mix of river bank timber and CRP feilds, so our deer live in the corn while it's standing all year.

· Registered
3,388 Posts
Well although its been hot, it's not been too hot to hunt. I got a doe this weekend, but i do think the late crops are keeping the deer in the fields. There are alot of guys out gettin the beans picked right now but our corn is still between 20%-25% in most places. I have seen a few guys shelling corn but w/ the rain we are getting right now and what we are going to get over the next few days could keep many out of the fields. Gonna have a hard time getting wheat planted by 10/20 this fall as well, dang moisture. Oh well, what can a guy do.

· Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Late? here in NW Ohio I think this is the earliest I've ever seen all the crops start coming off.
this year we got the crops in late, I and alot of others had to plant there corn twice or more some times. we are normally shelling dry corn in sept. early octorber. we are half way throught oct. and our corns not dry yet.

· Bettering the last.....
6,203 Posts
standing corn everywhere in upstate NY. The adjacent fiedl next to my hunitng area typically has winterwheat sprouting by the first week fo Nov. The corn has not even been cut yet this year :(

· Registered
3,056 Posts
I believe the farmers put in more corn than ever before. Most finished the beans this weekend. The corn is up but will come down the same time as last year. That will be in 2-3 weeks. I do believe it gives the deer more room to roam.

· Registered
1,539 Posts
Not just late, but corn in general. I have very little daytime movement on my lease. The deer are staying in the corn.

My farmer has the greenest corn around, 8'+, still green 3' up the stalks. The water table is so high, artesian springs have popped out of the fields. Couldn't get a combine out there if he had to.

There are several areas in the corn around 100sqft that are matted down with every ear stripped off. They appear to be knocking down large areas and just laying in there eating. (I'm sure the racoons, turkeys, squirrels etc. are getting thier share too).

Beans are coming down all around. Most of the corn appears to be ready, I may have the last corn standing in a couple weeks. I'm hoping to use that to my advantage. I'll give it a break for a couple weeks and hit it hard late season.

· Registered
1,132 Posts
We still have standing corn on our farm,the huntin is usally better when grandpa gets the crops out.But this year im not complaining because grandpa's leaving some standing corn for me and dad to hunt over.I'm hoping in combonation with our food plots that in brings in some nice deer.

· Registered
10,765 Posts
Well its only the middle of October and there are always crops on around here clear uptill Nov or later.And yes the deer gravitate to those crops .But its juat part of the game and a big reason why I hunt hard after the 31st of October and just dink out a few times befor that .The cover in the woods also is deminished alot as well by then.:).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.