Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just reading the threads on the Rocky and Danner boots etc.
Seems very frustrating that it seems no manufacturers make any decent boots for hunting.
Or am I missing some brands without spending $200?
I have no problem if I have to spend $125-150 on boots as long as the are going to be decent and last some time and not fall apart.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
if you just need a nice 16 inch rubber boot, look at northern. i've heard bad things about the new scentlock boots

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
One of the problems I've observed is companies that used to make great boots (that are still in service from 5 or more years ago) have switched their manufacturing to other contries to reduce cost. Bowhunters are noticeing the reduction in quality as well.

Many have posted that the European brands are still high quality.
Lowa
Kennetrex
Sorel

and some others I can't remember.

I just wish the made in america brands were good. Some said that some models of Danner are still made in the USA, but others are now made in China.

Ray

·
Registered
684 Posts
A bunch of years ago I went hunting during rifle season and found out that my 15 year old Sorels had a hole in the rubber part somewhere. They were old so I decided to buy a new pair.

After trying on boots ranging from $40 - $250 I ended up with a pair of Cabela's 8pt hunting boots with Gore-Tex and 1000 Gram Thinsulate and a Goodyear sole. They've been nothing short of great. I had a box of Sorels in my hands but I just couldn't pass up the deal for the 8pt boots for $85.99.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
Just reading the threads on the Rocky and Danner boots etc.
Seems very frustrating that it seems no manufacturers make any decent boots for hunting.
Or am I missing some brands without spending $200?
I have no problem if I have to spend $125-150 on boots as long as the are going to be decent and last some time and not fall apart.
I have a pair of Baffin Apex (but they are made in China) of insulated pac boots

Very very very warm -- as warm as a boot needs to be for in Wisconsin at any time

The toe of them is curled up a lot and the liner (insulated liner rather) has a small squishy interior that you break in and your foot doesn't slip (I can run stairs in these boots untied) so they walk well.

Waterproof too

They do cost $180 though

·
Registered
9 Posts
http://www.whitesboots.com/store/Whites_Boots.php

I know that they are expensive but for me have been bar-none the best boot I have owned. I have had a pair for over 6 years now and they have served me on hunt trips, cutting fire line, and just construction around the house. These boots will stand up to anything you can throw at them. A little mink oil and/or saddle soap is all you need to keep um clean and in good shape.

Ready....set....flame on:wink:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
thats the problem, the ones made in USA are still good quality, but sooo expensive.

The ones made in China suck, but yoiu can buy multiples of them and still come out ahead.

Rocky 'quality' has gotten so bad since they started making them in China, I rank Rocky with Walmart brand boots. Horrid.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts

I don't know what's wrong with LaCrosse? I've had the same pair for 8 years and really don't need another pair...just going to buy some b/c I want to. They have been great for me!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have a pair of Cabela's 6pt in 600g non-steel toe that I bought on a friends recomendation after two years of his owning them.

Well, let me tell you, after walking through swamps and snow, getting 4-wheeler exhaust burns, and just about everything else a hunter could put his boots through, the boots still look and work great. My friend and I actually joke about who's boot has more `experience` but neither of us are worried about walking through a stream with them on. They have EXCELLENT snow traction, too! Although they are not great on hard snow or ice because the rubber (goodyear) is very hard. The only down side is that they are a bit tough to lace up tight and the laces they come with will only last you one season but I have a way of doing it now that is simple and works great.

I give them a VERY high recommendation if you are looking for a sturdy insulated boot and don't mind the fact that they aren't rubber. They are great in the mid season and with an extra pair of socks I stay plenty warm in the late season. Only 90 bucks to boot!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...h-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

and

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...h-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

·
Registered
11,784 Posts
thats the problem, the ones made in USA are still good quality, but sooo expensive.

The ones made in China suck, but yoiu can buy multiples of them and still come out ahead.
1. They're worth it. You're not paying for a company to put a 7 year old in a sewing or manufacturing plant for 12 hours a day, or sending money out of the States to further weaken our manufacturing. You're not just buying a pair of boots, you're investing in the country.

2. If you compare the American made boots meant to compete with the cheapo Chinese product, then yes. But, if you buy actual good quality boots with top quality construction, then no.

You guys need to broaden your base of product sources beyond what Cabela's offers. Get some hiking and backpacking retailer catalogs, go to an REI and get fitted by a pedorthist and buy the boots that work for your foot type, gait, and usage.
You'll be amazed at the difference.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I buy my 200.00 boots on sale at Cabela for (usually) 140-160.00. Its the water proofing that pushes that price up. Dr. Gore must be one rich dude

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
1. They're worth it. You're not paying for a company to put a 7 year old in a sewing or manufacturing plant for 12 hours a day, or sending money out of the States to further weaken our manufacturing. You're not just buying a pair of boots, you're investing in the country.

2. If you compare the American made boots meant to compete with the cheapo Chinese product, then yes. But, if you buy actual good quality boots with top quality construction, then no.

You guys need to broaden your base of product sources beyond what Cabela's offers. Get some hiking and backpacking retailer catalogs, go to an REI and get fitted by a pedorthist and buy the boots that work for your foot type, gait, and usage.
You'll be amazed at the difference.
My problem is I absolutely cannot find a pair of American made pac boots that are going to be warm. Unfortunently I had to buy a pair made in China from Baffin. The other option was a pair of Kenetreks made in Malaysia if I remember right.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Good Boots

I used a pair of Muck boots, woody max this year and they are light and comfortable and warm. I paid 135.00 with free shipping but I think I saw some on ebay for 115.00 with free shipping. If you look you can find good deals on them.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
http://www.schnees.com/ best pair of boots going, made in bozeman, MT. They come with two liners one to keep warm next to wood burner other to wear. Half way through day swap out. Not to wide but warm. Made for hunters in MT so they need to be some what slim to fit in stirups but very warm. Got down to -30s already this year

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
My problem is I absolutely cannot find a pair of American made pac boots that are going to be warm. Unfortunently I had to buy a pair made in China from Baffin. The other option was a pair of Kenetreks made in Malaysia if I remember right.
I wen't through a creek today and they leaked -- Baffin will be getting a phone call tomorrow demanding replacements with the seams taped where the tongue connects to the upper:mad:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts