Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought Wildgame cameras when I first started hunting and they were awesome for the first year and then they would just die in some way. After dealing with their crappy customer service I forbid myself from ever buying another WGI product. In the past month I have bought a Primos Ultra Blackout Supercharged camera which retails for $199 from dicks for $99 on sale. After the first week in the woods I checked it to realize that it will not keep the time or date. I called Primos and they said that I need a reciept and to call back if I find it. So this new camera is worthless to me when I see daytime pictures with a time of 3am.

2 weeks ago I bought Moultrie D5 from dicks on sale for 59.99 and put it out in the woods the week before gun season. I went to check it last friday and every single picture from sunset to sunrise is black. So yet another pointless camera but I did have the recipt thankfulyl and Dicks exchanged it no questions asked.

Since Primos doesnt seem to want to do anything for me I may just have to buy another cam from Dicks and put the dead one back in and return it. Not what I want to do but it's $100 paperweight right now.

I thought Primos and Moultrie were good cameras, who else has proven cameras that will actually last more then a seas, or in my case a month?

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Do you erase the pics and format your cards?? Moultrie cams will act up and do goofy stuff if you don't format.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
My 2 Coverts have performed flawlessly.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you erase the pics and format your cards?? Moultrie cams will act up and do goofy stuff if you don't format.
I do it each time I check them, I usually use the same cards in each camera because I have 4 so I can rotate them. The problems are black images and wrong time/date. At least the WGI cameras worked flawlessly until they eventually crap the bed.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I bought Wildgame cameras when I first started hunting and they were awesome for the first year and then they would just die in some way. After dealing with their crappy customer service I forbid myself from ever buying another WGI product. In the past month I have bought a Primos Ultra Blackout Supercharged camera which retails for $199 from dicks for $99 on sale. After the first week in the woods I checked it to realize that it will not keep the time or date. I called Primos and they said that I need a reciept and to call back if I find it. So this new camera is worthless to me when I see daytime pictures with a time of 3am.

2 weeks ago I bought Moultrie D5 from dicks on sale for 59.99 and put it out in the woods the week before gun season. I went to check it last friday and every single picture from sunset to sunrise is black. So yet another pointless camera but I did have the recipt thankfulyl and Dicks exchanged it no questions asked.

Since Primos doesnt seem to want to do anything for me I may just have to buy another cam from Dicks and put the dead one back in and return it. Not what I want to do but it's $100 paperweight right now.

I thought Primos and Moultrie were good cameras, who else has proven cameras that will actually last more then a seas, or in my case a month?
I feel your pain, brother. Went through about a dozen before I gave up. No way I can justify dropping a couple of hundred bucks on a camera that I'm going to leave in the woods for some Bubba to steal.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,441 Posts
I have 10 year old homebrews still reliably taking pics today. I own one commercial cam, a Reconyx HC600. Spendy camera that's worked well for me but it has been sent back once for IR array problems.

I've heard good things about the Browning Strike Force. Reasonably priced too. If I was going to buy a commercial cam that would be my choice. Trailcampro.com has a good review on the cam and all the other cams. I think they offer a 2 year warranty also if you buy from them.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
I've had good luck with the Moultries. I use the 880's and like them fine, picture quality is very good, easy to operate, batteries last months and they aren't bad priced. I have some that have lasted three seasons, the D5's get iffy after a couple years...as with anything you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have heard good things about Browning but I dont think they have been around long enough to be proven at least IMO. I was thinking about maybe trying Stealthcam next btu I will check trailcampro for the reviews. Thanks for the input guys, it just seems all of these companies are making them just as cheaply which is frustrating.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have heard good things about Browning but I dont think they have been around long enough to be proven at least IMO. I was thinking about maybe trying Stealthcam next btu I will check trailcampro for the reviews. Thanks for the input guys, it just seems all of these companies are making them just as cheaply which is frustrating.
Stealth cam has been known as a very unreliable brand, but their G42ng is supposed to be a great camera.

You should look for customer service though. No matter what Chinese camera you buy you'll potentially be buying a piece of junk. Covert seems to have a reputation for failing less than other brands (which has held true for me) and their customer service is great

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Stealth cam has been known as a very unreliable brand, but their G42ng is supposed to be a great camera.

You should look for customer service though. No matter what Chinese camera you buy you'll potentially be buying a piece of junk. Covert seems to have a reputation for failing less than other brands (which has held true for me) and their customer service is great

I had a Stealthcam. Took amazing photos. Went through brand new batters in a less than a week. After 2 sets of new batteries I returned it to Cabelas.

Reconyx are supposed to be the best....if you can afford $500 trail cameras.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have 2 coverts and 1 wildgame (4 years old). I have never had a problem with any of them. The coverts batteries last forever and I tens of thousands of pictures out of them. I honestly believe it's important to run quality batteries, don't cheap out.

Even with homebrews most builders will tell you not to use cheap batteries.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Try out the Brownings, they have been awesome for me.

·
Registered
14,574 Posts
I run tasco and cheaper bushnell cams. they are both made by bushnell and can pick them up for 30-50 bucks at the outlet store by my house. i still have quite a few moultire a-5's in the arsenal and are an awesome cam for the money but I'm starting to phase them out due to taking c cel batteries.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts

Dicks has a 90 day return policy, just take back the broken primos cam as well. If you cannot find the reciept it can be looked up with your score card.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
very impressed with the browning strike force i got this year. i'll be getting more when some of my other cams croak.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I've had great durability from my homebrews. Bit of a learning curve to making them, but fun. The drawback is that the battery life is only as good as the camera you use.

I only have one commercial unit. It's a Ltl Acorn I bought off ebay. I've had it out almost year round for the last 3 years. I would definitely buy another. The only downside to it is that the mount is kind of flimsy and it's an easy camera to steal.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts