Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Alien Mafia Member
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sneaked a couple of pictures when the owner of the bow wasn't looking.

I mentioned to him that they looked a little fuzzy a while ago, but he didn't take it very well.
He reckons his strings still have plenty of life left in them yet.:pukey:

Kev

Attachments

·
No Hype, Just Hunt
12,419 Posts
The strings look like they need to be waxed but that serving coming apart doesn't sit well with me. If it were my rig I would have them replaced ASAP.

·
edthearcher
6,509 Posts
I sneaked a couple of pictures when the owner of the bow wasn't looking.

I mentioned to him that they looked a little fuzzy a while ago, but he didn't take it very well.
He reckons his strings still have plenty of life left in them yet.:pukey:

Kev
you english are a tough lot, watch what happens when they break, will his facial expressions change
be a nice mate, and make a kind suggestion
CHANGE THE FRIGGEN ROPES:D

·
Alien Mafia Member
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like I said, I have mentioned to him they didn't look good, he got a bit stroppy.:frusty:
Now I just make sure I am not next to him when he is shooting:zip:

Kev

·
edthearcher
6,509 Posts
Like I said, I have mentioned to him they didn't look good, he got a bit stroppy.:frusty:
Now I just make sure I am not next to him when he is shooting:zip:

Kev
i yes we all some times have to learn the hard way
i have always wanted to visit england but at my age almost 73 dont look like i will ever make it
my fore fathers left england in 1652 to come to this country, 21 years after the mayflower. I have traced the sir name back in england (ackley) to the middle 1300s. we even have are coat of arms registered english
great chatting with you

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Looks like they are nearly broken in.

For some of the bows I see in England they are in good condition.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,707 Posts
Well, if he insists on shooting them you may want to keep a video cam near by and video it for when she lets loose. It would make a popular youtube clip.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
those are fine.. hes right.. they do have a bit of life left in them. i would re serve were its coming off though. or at the very least put a glob of wax on it so it doesnt come unravled anymore...

·
Banned
3,049 Posts
you english are a tough lot, watch what happens when they break, will his facial expressions change
be a nice mate, and make a kind suggestion
CHANGE THE FRIGGEN ROPES:D
Subtle....

OP tell the bow owner to change his strings and cables before he/she eats a knuckle sandwich.... their own at that. Also take a video for all of us to see when it happens, should be a good laugh.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I would re do them just for me because I want it to look good, but I say they do have some life left. I dont think they would snap but eventually the serving will come loose, as long as you watch that your good for maybe 150-200 shots before something bad happens

·
Alien Mafia Member
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

Well, I went into the local shop this morning, and lo and behold, the bow was there on the counter being worked on by the shop owner and his daughters boyfriend (works in anther bowshop up country and down on holiday).

Apparently the bow started flinging arrows all over the place after I left the range Thurs evening, so he gave it to the owner to fix up.

It is a nice little shop, but caters mostly for trad type shooters
Daughters boyfriend had brought a string and cable down, unfortunately, the cable was too long, but there was some 452 under the counter, so a new one was made up.

I gave them a hand to re-assemble the bow, and get it all lined up and in spec.
All done with a bowmaster press!

Two good things out of this, we are now safe at the range when shooting alongside this bow:thumbs_up, and as the shop owner knows I have the equipement at home to work on them, he said that maybe he will pass compound work onto me to do if I want it:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:shade:

Below is the bow with it's new set, and the old ones beside it.

Kev

Attachments

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Replacing the string is a good idea. Taking this a step further, you could save the old string and use the indiviual strands for serving a peep, your draw cord on the drop down rest, etc. These strands are very strong (provided they are not damaged) and are less bulky than serving material.

·
Alien Mafia Member
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Replacing the string is a good idea. Taking this a step further, you could save the old string and use the indiviual strands for serving a peep, your draw cord on the drop down rest, etc. These strands are very strong (provided they are not damaged) and are less bulky than serving material.

Yeah, I have old strings on the shelf for that purpose.
The ones taken off this bow are so freaking old..they are probably the original factory ones.:pukey:
Most of the strands are fuzzy, some are actually almost worn through in places.
The shop owner is going to give them back to the shooter as a warning.

Kev

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
ive got some bad strings. I have one set on my switchback that are cut real bad. I only use it for carp and no problems. never have and it gets shot 50 times some nights.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts