Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not here to say one is better than the other, as both are needed to a certain degree, but it just seems that there is such an emphasis on the technical side of archery here, that the hunting part seems to have been lost(or at least pushed aside).

Anyone feel the same?

·
Banned
17,974 Posts
Speaking only for myself...

My desire is to be both. I attempt to be diligent in my studies of both the technical side of archery, as well as the skill aspects of hunting.

I personally think they compliment eachother very well. Since I did begin shooting primarily to hunt, and since I have a great appreciation for the wilderness (at least as close as we can get in NE Indiana:( ), I don't have an elaborate spot shooting set-up. Though I have a couple of bows set-up, my target/3-D arrangement is essentially the same as my hunting rig- with the exception of a 2X lens that I occassionally use for indoors.

Indychris

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
This is "archery" talk.com. :)

Maybe we need "bowhunting" talk.com.

I use this forum for bow advice, not hunting advice. I rarely find a need to consult with others on how I hunt, but I do love to get the advice here from all the spot junkies. I also like to see what guys are using for new hunting gear.

Go ahead and post on bowhunting topics . . I'll answer them!

I guess this is my theory:
I'd rather see good archers go out and not get close enough to make the shot, than see bad archers get close enough, but miss or wound. A good bowhunter needs to be a good shooter first, then an effective hunter. ALL serious bowhunters are serious shooters.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Heavyarrow

I guess I would have to say I am both a hunter and a shooter. While I enjoy the “HUNT”, I also enjoy “TINKERING” if all I wanted to do was go kill something, most of the time I would only be gone a few hours.
To me the challenge is finding and collecting that one particular animal, I have set my sights on for the season. This year it is a Pope & Young Pronghorn taken with a bow in West Texas. I am working on a P&Y spring bear hunt for next year also.

I also enjoy the technical side of archery, this year I bought a compound bow the first I have owned. I have shot re-curve since I was eight or nine and enjoyed it, but the compound brings a completely new aspect to my archery.
I am still a little of a traditionalist, in that I do not trust mechanical broadheads. That does not mean I do not enjoy the discussions about them and someday I might try some. However, I am a long way from wanting my first time to use them to be on a P&Y trophy. Just as I have always used feathers, now I use hard helical vanes for fletching. I have enjoyed the time I have spent researching the issue of fletching as it applies to compound bow shooting.

I have taught rifle shooting and shot gunning to many people as well as scuba diving, and I find similarities in those sports to compound bow hunting and shooting. I find that all sports have those who find something that works and stick with it, distaining any change. There also are those interested in being the best they can be, within their physical and mental limitations. These are the fiddlers, the ones who are never satisfied.

I have friends who are hunters and subscribe to the pie plate at thirty yards theory, and I have friends who are hunters who try to robinhood every arrow at 30 yards, which is right?

Neither is wrong, each have their place, and I think there is room for both at ArcheryTalk.

Start threads about hunting techniques, I think you will find most of us will reply. Be prepared for controversy because for there are thousands of opinions and they are all correct.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Archery=hunter,3der or tournie

I'd have to say my heart lies with bowhunting. With this follows the endless practice shooting at home. Also the 3d animal target shoots nothing over 40yds for me. And finally the infamous stump shooting. I have never tried true roving events so I can not comment on this.
I would say I also have a true interest with tournament shooting but I have no inclination in participating in these events at least not yet. Would I go and support these events of course, I get a kick out of looking a the new fangled gear thats out. I have no problem going to events watching with my traditional archery t-shirts or reg shirts on.
I also shoot with guys who shoot wheel bows but they don't use sights and they're finger shooters, they're mainly guys that had to much fun early in life like myself (all beat up). I just haven't jumped over to the other side of the tracks, sticks and recurves for me.:D
So in conclusion I will surf all these sites and post wherever try to gain as much insight as possible.

Remember: "you cannot be intimidated by anyone, unless you give them permission first" this is for the new younger posters.

Lifes like a big ol oyster and I'm on the hunt for a big ol pearl!:p
Out for now

·
74,535 Posts
going kill

You better be hunter first.

I can take anyone in shop and few minutes have them shooting.

Being hunter is not so easy.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have to agree with DBoone! I've seen some rookies take a compound and with little practice, get groups at 20 yds. The more practice they do, the better they'll shoot. (Naturally)

But to pattern game, watch the wind, pick stand sites, and learn the patience to wait for the perfect shot...Well, that's no easy task. I have fun shooting and doing 3D's, but for me, it's all practice to become a better bowhunter.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I love to shoot and I try to do it all year long, but I also do it to be a better hunter. Enjoy both and you get the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Hunter

I'm alot better hunter than I am a shooter. I don't seem to suffer from target panic when lining up my sight pin on a live animal.
But boy you put scoring areas on an animal & look out.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I agree with Ranger. I practice shooting in the offseason but when hunting season comes around I shoot somewhat less but focus intensly on hunting... Hunting location, cover scents, weather, strategy etc.

Lane

·
Registered
984 Posts
I'm a hunter, which is why I come here - to learn more about shooting. My object is to get within feet of deer, not yards, and I often do. A good buddy of mine is a shooter. Put him on a 3D course and he can beat me blindfolded (I really believe that). However, I always kill more deer than him and I let most pass. In fact, he has yet to take a deer with a bow and he's bowhunted for 10 years now. He hasn't learned the art of getting close and when he accidently does, he's too nervous to remember what to do. He has a peep on his bow and knows for a fact that he's shot at deer without even looking through the peep. He never realizes what he does until the shot is over. Yet at 20 yards, he'll hit the 12 ring on a small 3D target, 5 out of 6 shots.

I believe, when it comes to killing, hunting skills are far more valuble than shooting skills. Just my opinion...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Blood

I was born a hunter and that is what I do best. I enjoy shooting from time to time but it is in the hunt for me. I connects me with my past and bring me to my future..........HUNT........:D

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I quess I'm both,I practice all the time and can group well out to 50 yards.I do shoot out to 50 practicing,but I limit my hunting shot at live deer to 30 yards.
I feel that you should concentrate on making a kill shot from different positions and angles,sitting down,kneeling down or around the tree some if you stand hunt.
Shooting spot all day is fine,hitting a bulls eye at 20,30,40 yards is great,but if you can only do it in a perfect form position,I feel you better hold off on the hunting awhile......:)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Hunting is in my blood. Shooting is something I enjoy.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I am primarily a hunter but like shooting too.I feel the shooting makes me more of a capable hunter

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I used to be both when I lived in Ga. ...but since moving to ratland there's no archery ranges...so I just hunt now.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Both

Like many others, I'm a shooter so that I can be a good hunter. I love to shoot and tweak my equipment in the off season. Come bowhunting opener, the tweaking is done, but I still make sure to shoot some to maintain proper form.
Shooting is fun, but also necessary. I only shoot out to about 30 yards(20 is better) at deer, but it's worth it to know you can easily make that shot due to all the practice.

peashooter

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I started out as a hunter and became a shooter to make myself a better hunter. 3-D in the summer and 3-spot in the winter. Spots are a good way to improve form and consistancy. Cant beat 3-d for real hunting practice. Unmarked long shots, up and down through the trees ect. really helps with yardage est. skills.:) Happy Huntin'.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts