Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I mean is, do you employ all types of tactics such as scents, blind calling, blind rattling?

Or, do you just try to put yourself in the right spot and only call to deer you see?

Do you think scents do more harm than good?

I went almost completely passive this year other than stand location. I started on fringes and worked in tighter to bedding when I felt timing was appropriate.

Just giving the subject some reflection. Wondering how others feel.

·
Registered
13,450 Posts
passive, Im in their house, they know it better than me , be unseen unheard,

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Would have to say passive for the most part. I never use scents and rarely call. If a buck is walking away I will throw a grunt at him though.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I would consider my stand locations pretty aggressive but once I feel I've put myself in a good position I'm passive on stand.
I've never had any luck with scents or calls and am almost convinced that they do more harm than good.
No substitute for being still, being quiet, and reducing your scent as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Hang my stand directly in his bedroom and get there long before he does and possibly use a grunt to reposition him if needed. It works for my target buck then the rest of the season I get to play games with the rest of the heard.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I have hunted both ways over the years. A few years ago I started hunting more passively after a discussion with a friend who was proving himself successful simply by playing the wind, sitting very quietly in the tree and spending a lot of times in the woods. He almost never calls, decoys or scents as he believed they often exposed his presence in the woods.

There are many ways to get the job done.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I try to be aggressive in my scouting and stand placement. Once I am hunting there I am a damn ghost for the most part. I will occasionally try some scent or rattling to draw a buck over.

·
Looking for a monster!
8,464 Posts
Passive to start the season, then get aggressive with stand placement and calling through most of November, then slowly start being more passive through the late season. Has almost always worked for me sometimes lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think it depends on the day and the situation - the day that I shot my buck this year it was very, very windy, November 18th, and very cold and I set-up in an area with several recent scrapes as well as some very good rubs. Because of the wind and all of the sign right in that area I blind-called a lot more than I normally would have and it paid off for me - I wanted to make sure that the buck in the area knew I was there and came over to do something about it.

Generally though, I find it better to be passive and put myself in the right area at the right time. I typically see far more deer this way, and I spook fewer deer because they're not actively looking for something as a result of what I did. I do not use scents, and I think that using a decoy here (NJ) would be a bad idea - I only hunt public land, and there are too many other hunters around for me to feel safe trying it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Agressive. I blind call every 10 minutes. I believe it increases my effective hunting radius from 40 to 200 yds. I rarely use scents but do try to be diligent with scent control.

·
Proverbs 21:19
9,614 Posts
I am aggressive in a sense is I will go right in for the kill but once I am there pretty passive.
This^^^ The only thing I incorporate that could be called aggressive is I do use a grunt call.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Completely passive.
I'll call but only to a deer I want to kill and only if he's not going to come in my direction.

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
I would consider my stand locations pretty aggressive but once I feel I've put myself in a good position I'm passive on stand.
I've never had any luck with scents or calls and am almost convinced that they do more harm than good.
No substitute for being still, being quiet, and reducing your scent as much as possible.
Yep. Same with me!

·
Registered
24,952 Posts
I find a area that looks like they would travel though and set up. If i see a deer far off i will give a call or two but thats about it. I personally never had luck with scent but know people that have had bucks follow there scent drag trail.

·
Registered
13,450 Posts
You guys are funny , the question was Passive or aggressive. Most answered Both... LOL

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I am passive for the most part. I like to be like a ghost. Play the wind and never use scents. I will only grunt or use the can to a buck I want to shoot that's not coming my way. Then again, calling only ever works about 5% of the time it seems

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
You guys are funny , the question was Passive or aggressive. Most answered Both... LOL
It's kind of a two-part answer though. You can be both lol. I am definitely aggressive on stand placement and passive on scents/calls.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts