Archery Talk Forum banner

are you really surprised your stand was stolen?

760 15
you really surprised your stand was stolen?
there have been thieves since God made the earth,why do ya think your stands are safe on public land?
Yeah its a shame and not right but it happens all the time.

I would never leave a stand on public land,but if i did and it was stolen it would not surprise me or make me mad....heck i was asking for it.
I would be ticked if one was taken on my land,but there's people like that everywhere ,,,why ask for it?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Classifieds Administrator
39,607 Posts
I guess its how you were raised. If your parents instilled good values and taught you right from wrong, you expect others had the same upbringing.

We are taught as youngsters not to take things that aren't ours (or at least we assume it was taught). The sad thing is the scumbags that steal from the honest, hard working people, who took their hard earned money to buy the gear that the scumbags steal. Its sad when you can't have nice things for fear of others taking it or just having the fear someone will.

No one has any right to take a stand or game camera that is not theirs, but then again when they are at the pearly gates and it comes up on their resume they are a thief, then they can enjoy the heat in the "other" place!!!!

· Registered
14,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess its how you were raised. If your parents instilled good values and taught you right from wrong, you expect others had the same upbringing.

We are taught as youngsters not to take things that aren't ours (or at least we assume it was taught). The sad thing is the scumbags that steal from the honest, hard working people, who took their hard earned money to buy the gear that the scumbags steal. Its sad when you can't have nice things for fear of others taking it or just having the fear someone will.

No one has any right to take a stand or game camera that is not theirs, but then again when they are at the pearly gates and it comes up on their resume they are a thief, then they can enjoy the heat in the "other" place!!!!
i agree 100%,, but would it be a big shock to you if one was stolen on public land?

· Registered
177 Posts
I was hunting this HUGE farm a couple years ago and not many ppl hunting on it..I hung my stand and came back the next morning and it was gone...should have known better but it happens I guess...its sad that someone would take something that is not theirs...heck how many stands do us hunters walk under a season and not even run though our heads to do such a thing...sad!

· BOW ONLY!
2,591 Posts
I had one stand stolen on public ground and I was surprised. I had it padlocked to the tree and that meant whoever took it had bolt cutters. It is the same as if I parked my truck in a public parking lot. I would be surprised if I came back and my truck had been broken into. I cant stand theives like that. It would be hard to say what I would do if I walked up on someone stealing one of my stands. I do take precautions, like locking the stand to the tree and locking the platform in the UP position so nobody else can sit the stand but me. This seems to work well for me with only one stand gone in 7 years on public ground.

· Registered
10,765 Posts
Oh well !! It happens . But not hearly as much as you hear about.Most of it is done by the accquaintances you meet or I hate to say it, the folks you have hunted with.You know the person who takes these type thing 90% of the time.

Tree stand and cam thefts are not motivated by the same thing as say a house burglar is they are motivated out of jelousy or anger!

· Registered
1,265 Posts

Great Post, I agree 100%, Stealing is stealing. In the perfect world woodsman trust each other, I know I would not steal someones stand if I seen it so why should someone else? Karma will catch up to em.....

· Registered
2,832 Posts
Quite frankly I wouldn't be shocked if it was on private land either these days. Had 2 stands stolen last year, 1 on private 1 on public. Theives are lurking everywhere, not just on public property.:mad:
Double Bull blind. stolen off private property along with some decoys and a bow holder and a swivel bucket.

· Registered
1,829 Posts

I am not sure I follow you. Because you were raised not to steal you think no one steals? How can that be?

The original posters question was "are you really surprised?" - Im not. Theives are everywhere and will take what ever they can.

· Registered
1,350 Posts
I've always said theives should have a hand cut off so they could be recognized from afar. Plus no way a 1 handed man is gonna climb a tree and remove a stand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.