Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I shoot, I feel soreness near my bow arm shoulder. Looking at a muscle chart, it's not really my shoulder but rather the part of the trapezius between the shoulder and the neck area. If you imagine a body builder, it would be the crazy bulging muscle next to the neck that makes a body builder look scary. Anyways, is this upper part of the trap on the bow arm supposed to be getting a work out when form is proper or is my form off? Does this indicate that I am shooting with a high shoulder and should be pushing my shoulder down?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Hmmm,that's the other side from where I sometimes get a sharp pain in the same area if I go much over 50lb in draw wheight.
My bow arm is a bit of a mess because I put a Motorcycle handlebar through my elbow about 20 years ago,,well the car that ran me over actualy did that,,then added to that I have tendonitis in my bow arm forearm an wear a brace for that when shooting,,,but no pain where your talking about.

Best ask Ray I think,this really is his department.

·
Registered
20,288 Posts
Morisato -

The upper traps raise the shoulder blade and should not be used when shooting a bow, except to help stabilize the shoulder. Shooting with a high bow shoulder is also generally not a good idea and yes, the two might be related. You generally want both shoulders low and relaxed (as possible).

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I also get pain in that area but on my right side not the left. It occurs on my draw arm not the bow arm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts