Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking through this western forum and I was wondering why there doesn't seem to be any moose hunters? I like hunting elk as well, but moose can be just as exciting to hunt as elk. I understand that there are shiras moose in the western states. Is there no season for them? Are they on a restrictive draw system? Are they protected? Nobody hunts them or what? A moose grunting and crashing through the bush coming in to a call is as exciting as it gets!

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Probably because there are just not many tags available, kind of like sheep, most put in and wait and not many can afford the cost to head north.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
My brother had a moose tag in 2001. We drove around glassing and glassing. I'd spot a nice high 40incher a couple miles away and he'd say "we can do better". I'd spot a mid 40-incher with wide palms and lots of points way down in the canyon and he'd tell me we could do better. Spotted a low 50inch bull the next ridge over and he said it was no good.

Found a little bullwinkle about 20 yards UPHILL of the road and he said "perfect". Loaded him whole into the back of the Ranger. :D

·
DefiantShooter
10,865 Posts
13 Points for Wyoming...8 for Utah! I just want a Lower 48 Shiras....:tongue:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I hunt moose every year here in AK. Most tags can be purchased over the counter. Trophy moose are mostly draw tags, especially archery only tags. General seasons end in most areas prior to the peak of the future, making for greater effort involved in harvesting a bow and arrow moose.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
My brother had a moose tag in 2001. We drove around glassing and glassing. I'd spot a nice high 40incher a couple miles away and he'd say "we can do better". I'd spot a mid 40-incher with wide palms and lots of points way down in the canyon and he'd tell me we could do better. Spotted a low 50inch bull the next ridge over and he said it was no good.

Found a little bullwinkle about 20 yards UPHILL of the road and he said "perfect". Loaded him whole into the back of the Ranger. :D

I know a lot of moose hunters that live by the rule if it can't be reach with an atv or farther than the length of their winch cable it can live

My self I am too stupid to listen to these guys and end up hauling my moose out of some swamp from hell :doh:.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Been dreaming of a Yukon moose hunt my whole life, I've given myself 5 years to get er done. Just started a special moose savings account last week, got a grand in it and only have 7 or 8 to go.

I would be thrilled to arrow a decent sized moose! 60" LOL

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I thought about hunting moose, but I'm lazy.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I thought about hunting moose, but I'm lazy.

Just kidding I would love to just not in the cards ($$$$).

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
13 Points for Wyoming...8 for Utah! I just want a Lower 48 Shiras....:tongue:
About time to go put those WY points to use isn't Ike? I have 9 points. Probably wait 2-4 more years and apply to an area that i have deer hunted quite abit.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Here's my ID moose from 08 and my friends moose from 09. Unfortunately bull moose in Idaho is once in a lifetime so that was it for us. Both drew first time we put in, what luck. Called my bull into 10 feet rocking his rack at me the whole way, had to wait for him to walk off to about 10 yards before I shot. Elk hunting is exciting, moose hunting is intimidating.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Those are both very nice shiras moose!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Wifes first hunt and first animal...Idaho Shiras. I'm pretty jealous and have to look at him on the wall EVERYDAY! I owe Shiras to my wife turning into a hunting fool!
n503678619_1433819_727653[1].jpg

·
Registered
293 Posts
Those are some nice Idaho bulls!

Jacksss, was your wife a NR who drew? how long did it take her to draw?

·
Registered
842 Posts
I live and breath moose hunting. I hunt every year. I have had my tag 4 times. And guide others every other year. This year I am going to Newfoundland for a second time. Moose hunting is awesome and I love the animal. Here at home I can go out my back door jump on my atv and withing a hour have spotted 3 or 4 moose, On a good day more.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Those are some nice Idaho bulls!

Jacksss, was your wife a NR who drew? how long did it take her to draw?
She drew as a resident, once-in-a-lifetime. There's a pretty interesting story to this. We lived in Idaho for 7 years and I ran into Shiras all the time during OTC elk season. I couldn't draw a hunt in Idaho to save my life. All my buddies that put there wives/daughters on application always drew. I drew ONE hunt in 7 years and it was a late season bull elk rifle hunt. They told me to put her on application and I'd draw. Of course, I told them they were full of it and to prove them wrong I was putting her in for an Idaho Shiras draw with only 15 tags. You have already seen the results of what happened. She was so mad at me! I spent 4 months with her, shooting rifle every weekend out to 400 yards. She ended up shooting that bull at 310 yards, 5 times in the bread box. She quit shooting after second shot, bull was still standing after two hard hits. I looked down and asked her why she wasn't shooting. She looked up, with tears in her eyes and said this just isn't RIGHT! She put 3 more in bull. After the smoke settled and I counseled her on how the bull was done first shot. She continued to talk about how exciting the last 5 days had been and really didn't want it to end. Not to mention, my dad from Kansas was there to experience it all. Several years later, my wife absolutely loves hunting, hiking, running game cameras, spotlighting....she's an absolute MESS! We've been together 26 years and married 24. It only took 20 years of marriage to get her to that point. Life is GOOD, it just cost me twice as much NOW...:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's my ID moose from 08 and my friends moose from 09. Unfortunately bull moose in Idaho is once in a lifetime so that was it for us. Both drew first time we put in, what luck. Called my bull into 10 feet rocking his rack at me the whole way, had to wait for him to walk off to about 10 yards before I shot. Elk hunting is exciting, moose hunting is intimidating.
Wow! Congrats on the great bulls! When they come in they sure get the adrenalin pumping don't they! Not many experiences compare to getting up close and personal with a moose. Nice to see that there are moose hunters south of the border. Too bad the tags are hard to come by though. Jacksss, I'm sure there's been more than one moose that started a hunting addiction!

·
DefiantShooter
10,865 Posts
About time to go put those WY points to use isn't Ike? I have 9 points. Probably wait 2-4 more years and apply to an area that i have deer hunted quite abit.
Trust me, I've been trying...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts