Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody use the Arizona Archery Plastifletch and fastset gel? Wondering if they are any good, have used duravanes and Bohning fletches in the past, wanted to try something new.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
I"ve had bad luck with fast set gel on gold tips.It heated up to the carbon.almost what welding does to to metal .like blueing.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
deerheaven:

Can you describe this heating? Perhaps you are seeing the whiteness around the glue, which is harmless.

There is no heating involved either via chemical reaction or otherwise with the Fastset or any other glue for fletching.

Personally, I find FastSet gel to be one of the strongest bonds I've ever come across on both carbons and aluminums. The Plastifletch Elite vanes are great, and the AAE Fastset gel is recommended for them.

That's what I've been using for years, and I'll give you my arrow if you can pull one of the vanes off with your bare hands! :p

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
It never set right.hours later vanes are feathers pulled off by hand not a razer blade.I would rather wait 45min for each vane or feather.using reg fletch tite glue for carbons.

·
Registered
141 Posts
fastset gel

I use the Arizona Fast Set Gel and never have any problems. I set the vane and put pressure on it for about 30 seconds and I am done.

I can fletch a dozen arrows in about an hour with one Jo-Jan Jig.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I totally agree with BowhunterNJ, this combination of vanes and glue is the best bonding to a carbon arrow I have found!!! I have never shot aluminums so I can't speak for them. I have also used Fastset gel with other brands of vanes as well with the same results.

As BowhunterNJ said, if you can get a vane off my arrow without using a knife or razor blade it's yours.

Deerhaven, make sure you clean your shaft with 90% alcohol before you fletch. Fastset gel is pressure activated which only takes a couple of seconds of pressure and you are not getting it off after that!!

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I have been very pleased with the fast set gel (for inserts and fletching) and will be using more of it in the future.:) I shoot feathers, so I can't comment on the veins.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've been using Elite vanes and AAE glue, then gel, for about 10 years now. I'm with the others, if you can pull one of my vanes loose with your hands I'll gladly give up my Gold Tip to you. They just don't turn loose. I use the gel now and only leave my vanes in the clamp for about 10 seconds. Haven't had one come loose ever when stuck to carbon or aluminum with that combo.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I will join the crowd. I love their vanes and the glue holds like...glue should! No way you can pull them off my arrows without ripping a vane.
Dwayne

·
Registered
25 Posts
AAE

I also have excellent results with the Arizona Fletching Tool w/AAE vanes and their fast set glue. They put a chemical on their vanes to react with the glue, so if you're taking a solvent to the vanes before you try to glue them up, that could be a problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts