Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what kind of clothing and gear do you recommend for hunting AZ in mid-December???
i'm working on a new bow that should get me shooting a 420grain arrow around 300-310fps which should be plenty for AZ muledeer or my dream of a Coues' deer.

but what about clothing?? fleece or wool?? any recommendations?

i'm kinda leaning towards the Cabelas Wooltimate in the high desert pattern...

·
<--- Finally!!
2,579 Posts
Where in AZ?

People may not realize it, but AZ can have more than a 50 degree difference in temperature around the state! Up here around Flagstaff, lows can be 0-20 overnight with highs in the 40's, and the desert areas can get up to the mid 70's pretty easy during the day.

·
Registered
574 Posts
AZBowhunt is dead on. Last December it varied from the 70's down to 15 in the low desert.

If you are hunting Coues, more than likely you will be in the Southeast and the days can get warm. Usual temperatures are about 60-70 during the day with the nights getting down in the 30's. Occasionally, we get some colder days and some snow in the elevations above 4500'.

If you will be hunting the desert, make sure you have durable boots-the constant rocks and cactus is rough on cordura boots.

Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
just south of flagstaff if i remember right.... it's more mulie country from what a3dhunter told me.

i don't remember what unit it is... let me look
Flagstaff is 7000 feet. If you are just south, prolly unit 6A or 6B, both great units. I've been on hunts in these units in December with over 1 foot of snow. One year damn near 2 feet in late November, caved in our tent and froze our camp water!! Layers and a backpack in which to carry them are the key. Starts out cold in the mornings, can warm up some midday and if you are hiking hills you'll break a sweat. Have fun.

·
Banned
1,552 Posts
Are there coues that far north? down here in sierra vista (south of tucson) we are around 4500 ft I think. IN january I wore 2 layers on the bottom, silk weight and denim pants, up top I had a silk shirt, longsleeve Tshirt and the bowhunter jacket from cabelas... but that was for still hunting... spot and stalk is a different story because you are moving.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Not many coues up there. You will need to layer. I use under armor. And to it off with cabelas micro fleece and a vest. Up that high your day will warm up but not to high. I dont hunt deer around there but you should have a good hunt. good luck.

·
Gold Supporting Archer
11,158 Posts
cold weather ???

cold weather,,,,i prefer nothing more then a set of patagonia calpilene base layers,,,then whatever over them. nothing cotton ofcourse. merino wool is good,,,a justin charles type.

you'll notice with the calpilene,,,anything you place over it works well. my experience as a 25 year resident floridian who hunts zero degree weather in connecticut every year...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Are there coues that far north? down here in sierra vista (south of tucson) we are around 4500 ft I think. IN january I wore 2 layers on the bottom, silk weight and denim pants, up top I had a silk shirt, longsleeve Tshirt and the bowhunter jacket from cabelas... but that was for still hunting... spot and stalk is a different story because you are moving.
I have seen coues as far north as Payson and I'm sure they are further north as well ie prescott...

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i was really wanting to go after coues deer but don't want to go it alone.... it'd help to split cost with someone and Jason is going again so i'll take the slight chance of seeing a coues deer and being in mule deer over being stuck here in Texas in mid December.

unless anyone is interested in hosting a rookie Texan Coues deer hunter. I've never hunted much outside of Texas and get a little nervous of the thought being so far from home and all... i mean how will i keep from getting lost with no HIGHFENCE to follow back to the camphouse?? :noidea:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Coues deer are pretty hard to hunt in that country. It very thick and hard to glass. On a dry year sitting water can be awesome. There are some absolute monster Coues bucks in that country. Cameras on water and tons of scouting= success.......

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have seen som really nice coues deer in the unite 6a The largest being about 115 under my stand opening day of elk season. Day after deer closed.

Make sure you have a lion tag. We commonly call them in when elk calling!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.