Archery Talk Forum banner

Arizona hunting

425 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  LXKID32
Ok I really need some input! Moving to the state around the Payson area and would like to get some input from residents about how hard it is to get tags for Elk, deer, turkey, javelina, etc! And the succsess rates!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Bowhunter
2,040 Posts
Payson is right in the middle of some great hunting, there are elk, mule deer, coues deer, bear, javalina and turkey on your doorstep. Elk tags are the hardest to draw but if you play the odds and apply for the less competitive areas you have a good chance of at least drawing a cow tag. All the rest are pretty much a sure thing with at least a second or third preference on the draw. Nice thing about Payson is you will get some great hunting without burning a lot of gas. I live in Yuma, way down in the SW corner of the state where almost everything is at least a 200 mile drive.

Mike

· I am the Tin Man!
2,985 Posts
Try coueswhitetail.com for lots of local input. If you are ok hunting for cow elk plan on getting 2-3 tags every 5 years depending on area, if you want only bull tag then maybe 1 every 5 years. Deer is over the counter and there are 3 different seasons for most areas of the state. Turkey is otc in the fall but draw in the spring, dont know anything about draw odds for spring. Javelina is usually a pretty good chance of getting drawn and if you are ok hunting down south there are usually some leftover tags you can buy at Az Game and Fish offices. Success rates all depend on you, I run about 50% on deer, much lower on elk, just depends on how much time you can afford to spend in the field. Good luck and welcome to the state, I cant think of a better place in Az to be than Payson, about an hour from Phoenix but isolated and surrounded by animals.

· Hoyt Shooter
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ttt!

· 120 CARP
1,521 Posts
Try coueswhitetail.com for lots of local input. If you are ok hunting for cow elk plan on getting 2-3 tags every 5 years depending on area, if you want only bull tag then maybe 1 every 5 years. Deer is over the counter and there are 3 different seasons for most areas of the state. Turkey is otc in the fall but draw in the spring, dont know anything about draw odds for spring. Javelina is usually a pretty good chance of getting drawn and if you are ok hunting down south there are usually some leftover tags you can buy at Az Game and Fish offices. Success rates all depend on you, I run about 50% on deer, much lower on elk, just depends on how much time you can afford to spend in the field. Good luck and welcome to the state, I cant think of a better place in Az to be than Payson, about an hour from Phoenix but isolated and surrounded by animals.
this is a good start what is said up above. there is a lot of hunting to be done in az. it just depends what you want quality or quanity? i will say every unit will hold its share of giant bulls. just some are better than others. go to azgfd.com and click on the big horn on the left and look at the hunting regs. they are easy to follow. in some units in az you can have 5 tags in your pocket opening weekend of archery deer in august and get to see all 5 animals your tags are for. i have done that in one weekend once awesome experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.