Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm headed to South Arkansas October 8th to bowhunt. I was curious when the prerut and main rut starts in this area. I'll be in Ashley county about 19 miles north of the La. state line. Any info will be appreciated.

·
Registered
441 Posts
In my opinion you'll be early for both.I think pre rut is the last of Oct and rut usually mid Nov.But thats just my opinion, not scientific.I am about 20 miles north of the LA line but west of Eldorado.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm also going to be there November 19th. How will that time frame relate to the rut?

·
Registered
441 Posts
cajxprs50 said:
I'm also going to be there November 19th. How will that time frame relate to the rut?
That should be about right.It seems to me, from about the middle of November to Thanksgiving is the best time for rut tactics.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. How far is Magnolia from the Hamburg area?

·
Registered
441 Posts
cajxprs50 said:
Thanks for the info. How far is Magnolia from the Hamburg area?
You are welcome.Hamburg is aroud 90 miles from where I live.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've hunting ther several times in the past. Haven't killed anything yet, but this is going to be the first time I will be able to make more than one trip in a season. What do you think a bout the new limits this year. I think they've finally smartened up and are going help the deer population.

·
74,535 Posts
Oct 8

To early for pre rut activity. Hunt the food source or game trails going to food source.

Nov 16 should be good time and rut will be still going on. Use doe estrous and hunt around where the does are.

·
Registered
441 Posts
cajxprs50 said:
I've hunting ther several times in the past. Haven't killed anything yet, but this is going to be the first time I will be able to make more than one trip in a season. What do you think a bout the new limits this year. I think they've finally smartened up and are going help the deer population.
I don't mind the reduction in number but personally I think the buck to doe ratio is way off.Our game and fish can't seem to understand that each area of the state needs different regulations.Also I HATE the 3 point rule.I feel it allows the inferior bucks to grow and pass their genes on while any good racked buck is whacked quickly.There is an excellent article in thie latest Arkansas Sportsman on the 3 point rule.Lots of people are starting to look at it like I do.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Yeah they say we have a doe problem...They are right....We have to many and the dummies limit us to 1....Go figure.....I think the Big Heads at AG&F need to listen to the biologist and not the lawyers and doctors in Little Rock......;)

·
Registered
441 Posts
LX_Shooter said:
Yeah they say we have a doe problem...They are right....We have to many and the dummies limit us to 1....Go figure.....I think the Big Heads at AG&F need to listen to the biologist and not the lawyers and doctors in Little Rock......;)
You are exactly right.If they aren't going to listen to the biologists why do they have them?I believe they know more than the DRS and Lawyers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts