Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question. I have a new string/cable coming and I was thinking. (first mistake). If we all use sandbags and rests to initially sight in a new scoped rifle what not do something similar with a bow being set up? Whats the problem with using a brace (shooting stick, whatever) on your bow arm to eliminate human error with pin floating for initial sight in. I was thinking, get your form down, all your anchors yada yada and then gently brace your bow arm using a shooting stick or side of a tree or something. Not to take all the weight of your arm, just to assist.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Honestly it don't sound like a bad idea, might be something to experiment with:wink: and see if after sighting in with it your bow hits the same without it, give it a try and see, may even try it myself.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Although it is a novel idea, I don't think it will work as well as it sounds like it should.

Bow arm movements will cause the arrow to do different things than it would if shot from a rigid braced stance or a Hooter Shooter. If you sight in when the bow is shot from a braced stance and then take the brace thing out and de-stabilize things, I'll lay odds that your point of impact will change because you're likely moving your arm at least a little.

The nice thing about an apparatus like a Hooter Shooter is that you can tune the bow to perfection so you know it is shooting bullets. But for sighting in, I think it is best to be holding the bow naturally. Yup, it is often frustrating and takes a lot of shots to get right though.

As for the rifle comparison...
When you pull the trigger a bullet will go exactly where you were pointing the gun when you pulled the trigger. That bullet is gone in a hurry. With a bow it just isn't the same. From the time you touch off the release, you still have that instant that your arrow is still in contact with the string or rest and can be affected by movements. If those movements are consistent, sighting in should be easy enough.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Knight and Hale

Their STEADY READY will do what you are wanting to do. I have not used it but have seen them use it in their videos. Might be worth a try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts