Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
recently i went to a great coach (Don Howard), and he helped me shoot a ton better. but to do so, i had to change some things on my form, like my stance, body posture, etc....... he helped with my back tension, changed some things with that, and now i am shooting perfect. but after a few days of shooting like that, my arms are starting to hurt really bad, above my sholders and around my neck, and really my tri cepts. (if i spelled it right).
but also, i have been shooting a little more than usual, like 3-4 hours, not 2-3.
so, do you think my arm pain is because of the form switch, or shooting too long? should i shoot a little less?
has anyone had experience with this? any ideas?
thankx a lot

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
less than 3 hours a year!!!!!?????????????
i couldn't stand only shooting that much in a week, forget only 3 hours in a year!! lol
of course, i shoot 3-4 hours a day. :)

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Probably a combination of new muscles and using stabilizer muscles differently than before. Plus the extra strain.

I know when I got back into shooting again after a long vacation, after about 3 days of shooting I woke up one morning and my traps and shoulders were so tight I could hardly move. It was like one big cramp. OUCH!

Bo

·
Registered
382 Posts
It's probably a combination of the new form along with shooting more arrows. If you can, back the weight off for a little while. Shooting a little less(maybe skip a day here and there too) might also help. Most likely nothing too serious. Just don't over do it right now. I bet if you take it a little easier, you'll feel just fine in a week or two.

peashooter

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Cory, you picked a great coach! I have known Don for many years and he is one on the nicest people in archery. It is true that you are using muscles that you have not used before and some that you are using differantly. TALK to your COACH about this I'm sure he wll answer all your questions. Ice on the sore muscles also helps. When you see Don again tell him I said Hi.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Cory.
I have to agree with Bob.
You have an excellent coach in Don Howard.
He has a great reputation in NY.

There are lot of great shooters in the Albany area.
You are blessed.

It is really tough to get into strong shooting condition.
It is best to feel the aches and pains now.
You will be great shape come indoor season.

I used to shoot out of Ti Yogi Bowman in Hyde Park.
Say hello to all the NY Archers for me.

Joe Rozmus

1 - 7 of 7 Posts