Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering does anyone wear army camo for archery hunting? I am talking about the black brown and green "patched" all over the place camo.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have in the past the deer didn't seem to notice but I'm usually in a tree about 15ft up or in a ground blind in both OH and PA

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
don't use the old desert storm stuff.it has a chemical deer can see & will pick you up no matter where your stand is..:cry: :cry: found out the hard way..

·
Registered
11,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a stand set up in a pine tree I was thinking of using this camo in. Does anyone think it is too dark and therefore will make me look like a blob in the tree?

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
OK in early season

What you are describing should be OK in the early season, especially around pines. I have use a couple of British chemical suits (with charcoal) and don't get picked too much in early season. Later in the year you have to watch getting skylined with that much dark stuff on.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Army camo

As long as the deer in your area arent using night vision scopes, you dont need to switch to the newer army digital camo.:)

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have an old faded pair that works very good in early season. It is just cotton, so I don't have any noise. Got them for $10 at the surplus stor a lot of years ago. I mix with an original realtree pattern jacket and it really breaks up the human form.

In fact, I really like the different top/bottom camo scenario. I think it really makes you look like something other than a person. If you have the same on the top and bottom it is much easier to pick out your form.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
don't use the old desert storm stuff.it has a chemical deer can see & will pick you up no matter where your stand is.. found out the hard way..
Uh!
Can you explain what you mean by this, are you saying the desert camo has a chemical in the fabric??

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
USED THE OLD BDU FOR YEARS INTIL THE BEER CAUGHT UP WITH ME :darkbeer: ..JUST A LITTLE TIGHT:pukey:

·
Archer helping Archers
1,328 Posts
It's funny. I've seen so many Chuck Adams pictures of him with his trophy animal wearing jeans and a flannel. Makes me think you really just need to break up your pattern, deer are color blind anyway. I still wear camo though, whatever I get my hands on. I just worry about noise, I wear fleece or saddlecloth.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Thats the only pants i have are BDU's the cotton ones, never had a deer bust me because of it. Heck i have hunted in a red and black checkered shirt and had deer look right at me and couldnt tell. I never worry about camo colors to much, the deer see in shades of yellow anyway.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Boone said:
Uh!
Can you explain what you mean by this, are you saying the desert camo has a chemical in the fabric??
I think what he was referring to is the UV brighteners the military used in their infinite wisdom! I remember reading some time back that our BDU woodland, and desert patterns had some stitches in the fabric that basically GLOWED in the dark to night vision scopes. I believe deer can see this spectrum so it might stick out to them. this is why even with non-military camo I use detergents such as scent shield that DO NOT have UV brighteners in them for washing!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts