Archery Talk Forum banner

Arrow backstop materials ??

13880 23
Due to future construction in the vacant lot behind my house I will need to use a little better backstop than my back fence. I was thinking about getting a large piece of 3 or 4 inch thick polyfoam in a 4ft x 4ft or 5ft x 5ft like they use for arrow targets but have determined that due to cost of those sheets this may be prohibitive. Local supplier said I would be looking at $150 - $200 for such a sheet of polyfoam. The factory maid netting is also in the $200 and up price range.
No problem leaving my target out but not want to leave larger item hanging on back fence - the House Boss frowns on such thinks.

Property Lawn Grass Backyard Yard

Some have talked about carpet stacks and others have said moving blankets. What other methods are you using for a safe backstop???

GB45
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
6,888 Posts
Due to future construction in the vacant lot behind my house I will need to use a little better backstop than my back fence. I was thinking about getting a large piece of 3 or 4 inch thick polyfoam in a 4ft x 4ft or 5ft x 5ft like they use for arrow targets but have determined that due to cost of those sheets this may be prohibitive. Local supplier said I would be looking at $150 - $200 for such a sheet of polyfoam. The factory maid netting is also in the $200 and up price range.
No problem leaving my target out but not want to leave larger item hanging on back fence - the House Boss frowns on such thinks.

View attachment 1608657

Some have talked about carpet stacks and others have said moving blankets. What other methods are you using for a safe backstop???

GB45
Multiple layers of carpet remnants can work well, and should be cheap. I use plywood, because it's what I have for free, but it's a pain to get the arrows out sometime.

· Registered
775 Posts
Plywood can jack up your woodies though and can be difficult to remove arrows from if the field points catch because the splinters kinda act like one-way valves.

There is a guy on ebay selling netting for around 100 bucks shipped, I like this because you can easily take it down if it's an eyesore - big chunks of carpet and plywood, are probably harder to fold up and put away if you need to keep the backyard looking pretty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-nylon...e=WDVW&rd=1&ih=008&category=1291&cmd=ViewItem

My backstop is a giant pile of dirt that some construction workers kindly left at the end of my street. I miss BIG so I appreciate something that softly catches the arrows. The only disadvantage is they are very dirty when you remove them, I usually have to wipe the field points in grass and my quiver has a bunch of dirt in the bottom of it, lol

· Registered
12,124 Posts
If you live in rural area or have a good fleet store near you see if they have a "stall matt". It's a 4'x8' piece of very thick and durable rubber or poly-something that is used on the floor of a stall or horse trailer. It's heavy and awkward to move, but stops an arrow well and is pretty much indestructible. Hang it behind your regular target and even if your arrow hits it square it won't be damaged.

· Premium Member
11,469 Posts
Like EK said above..A stall matt is a great idea..cost effective..safe...and doesn't damage your arrows..other than that?...i've found that compressed straw bales are hard to beat as they are large and cheap..way cheaper than replacing bag targets (that last me a few months at best at $60 a pop) at about $12-$15 a 18x18x36 bale..i went through these in less than 18 months...

both sides of each taped up and shot out...and you're looking at well over $200 worth of junk bag targets there...conversly?..these two bales cost me $15ea...

and i think i dropped about $20 for a 2' x12' strip of astroturf (about $10) and about $10 for the econo 3pack of ratchet straps to even further compress them...

and?..set the tension and/or tighten them up as needed...but i haven't needed to yet...and i installed these balse sept. 1st 2012..they are 6 months old and i'm not even thinking about replacing them yet...and here's what just 2 bales looks like at 25yds...

i staked a piece of ethafoam onto the face of them but just for shot clarity and something to paint or stick targets onto..and here's a pic of'em from a couple days ago...

and holding up fine...point being?...$150 equals (10) bales in my neck of the swamp..and that's dang close to a "broad side of a barn" sized target/backstop! :laugh:

Hope that helps and L8R, Bill. :cool2:

· Registered
889 Posts
Thats a nice setup!!

· Registered
794 Posts
Tree Plant

I've framed and totally enclosed my bale press with colored metal roofing panels on the sides, roof, and doors since this picture was taken. My Chief of Staff actually kinda likes the looks of it sitting out back now!

Jinkster you're paying too much for hay!

· Premium Member
11,469 Posts
Hey Jinkster, you need to put that new Whip down for a while and mow your lawn...:wink:
no way...we have a youngster that comes around every now and then and if he comes too soon?..he wasted a trip...now he calls first. :laugh:

this may sound brash of me but..."THE REASON"...this 3/2/1 crackerbox of a ******* palace that i've called home since 1989 still has woods on 3 of it's four sides?...is because..well?...you know...LOL!...and that 4th side?...i bought it for $3,000...and 3 years later?..i sold that lot to a contractor for $52,000..and i told'im.."Ya better build quick cause one bad headline and this bubbles gonna burst."...he just chuckled and said "No Way."...that was right before the frances/jeanne hurricanes hit south florida and this town was ground zero/landfall for them both...i picked the check up from the title company on my way out of town as my family and i fled to murphy NC where we ran from frances only to come home after 10 days and a week later get slammed by jeanne...after which i was laid off from my job at piper aircraft cause tornados took 2/3rds of the place down...tell me the Big Man wasn't looking out for me and mine as if i hadn't sold that lot?..we'd of lost our home...and here it is 9 years later?..

now he's outta biz and and his mother still lives there...he put 1/4million in that place...knocked on my door when he got the C.O. and told me it's on the market for $490K...but that if i wanted it he'd let me have it for $410K..as i thought..

with that big of a mortgage i'd never be able to pay to get my lawn mowed! :laugh:

as he'd be lucky to get 1/4 of that right now...and all those rich folks up the street aways from me?..they rarely appear to be real happy but...that doesn't stop'em from their ritualistic saturday morning lawnmower races...and i'm just glad i can't see or hear'em as..

the woods seem to block my view. ;)

· Premium Member
11,469 Posts
View attachment 1608844 Jinkster you're paying too much for hay!
Not to sound uppety or anything but..actually?..i'm not...as your bales?..are just that..."bales"...mine are "Compressed Bales".

See how your bales are kinda loose and hairy looking around the edges?...where mine are machine compressed tight and sliced like so?..

also..there's a dif between straw vs hay...mine are compressed "straw" bales...straw is a "stalk" (usually of wheat or oats)..."hay" is a grass.

also..i might mention...they had "Double Compressed" straw bales...they were like 18x18x18 but the suckers were like blocks of wood! :laugh: I guess thay'd save room in a horse trailer though but they were a whopping $18 per bale.

double also?...straw is a more durable "bedding material" where hay is a "feed".

all i got. ;)

· Registered
928 Posts
If you live in rural area or have a good fleet store near you see if they have a "stall matt". It's a 4'x8' piece of very thick and durable rubber or poly-something that is used on the floor of a stall or horse trailer. It's heavy and awkward to move, but stops an arrow well and is pretty much indestructible. Hang it behind your regular target and even if your arrow hits it square it won't be damaged.
The Tractor Supply near me has this in 5' roles for less than $6 a lineal foot. I'm going to give it a try. A 4' X 5' piece would be around $25 and should stand up to the weather well.

· Registered
12,124 Posts
The Tractor Supply near me has this in 5' roles for less than $6 a lineal foot. I'm going to give it a try. A 4' X 5' piece would be around $25 and should stand up to the weather well.
That might not be the same material unless the diameter of the rolls is huge. I always see stall mats sold in sheets about 1/2"-3/4" thick and stiff enough I can't see it rolled up.

That doesn't mean the material you are talking about is different, just probably not as thick.

· Registered
434 Posts
My son and his shooting buddy found an old mattress I had stored in my shop and decided to try it out, long story short it works even with their PSE EVO compounds at 340 fps.

· Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
View attachment 1608844
I've framed and totally enclosed my bale press with colored metal roofing panels on the sides, roof, and doors since this picture was taken. My Chief of Staff actually kinda likes the looks of it sitting out back now!
It looks like that bottom board that the bales are on is "floating" - are you drawing that board UP to compress the bales?

Would love to see the rig with the doors on too....

GB45

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.