Archery Talk Forum banner

Arrow blow out?

1214 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  KDS
I was hunting out west and hit two different bull elk with very little penetration. Both shots looked good to me, so I was very perplexed not to mention sick. I spoke with my broadhead company and they were able to name the arrow model and maker right off the bat - seems that they have documented some issues with this particular arrow design. I simulated the same thing last night with a bag/wooden post and got the exact same head-to-shaft blow out. Anyone out there experience anything similar?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Given that I simulated the exact same failure with a different head, I am buying into the arrow failure. I will not disclose brand at this point, but it is not the traditional insert that is used. It is the inside 'hidden' insert that several brands are using. The arrow weight is 10.7grains per inch - 31 inches, 100grain head - carbon - should have been plenty for Elk.

· Registered
209 Posts
you hit them in the shoulder....Nothing but a lucky arrow will penetrate. Elk vitals are big, shoot farther back.

· Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Possibly hit the shoulder on the first one (though it looked good at the time) - did not hit the shouler on the second one. The second one was slightly quartering away and I made sure to place well behind the shoulder. The arrow was clearly visible as the Elk walked away. Got one lung but not both from the poor penetration. Thanks for the input.

· Registered
34 Posts
poor penetration

if your getting poor penetration your bow is probably not tuned are these fixed blades or mechanicals because if they are mechanicals and you didnt bother to tune you may still shoot good groups and not get any penetration.

· In the begining God......
3,795 Posts
Given that I simulated the exact same failure with a different head, I am buying into the arrow failure. I will not disclose brand at this point, but it is not the traditional insert that is used. It is the inside 'hidden' insert that several brands are using. The arrow weight is 10.7grains per inch - 31 inches, 100grain head - carbon - should have been plenty for Elk.
Well now that makes perfect sesne......I mean hunting season is here, and I guess we want a lot of guys hunting with equiment that is going to fail at the moment we need it to perform. I love archers helping archers. Don;t bash, but man that is not helping anyone. imo

· Registered
2,477 Posts
if you are hitting them in the ribs with a 10.7 gpi arrow and a broadhead with smaller than a bullhead, you should get good penetration. sounds like a shoulder hit

· Registered
2,921 Posts
It just so happens I'm in a "Testing" kind of mood today:wink:
Top pic is an arrow that shall remain nameless:wink: It has hidden insert technology, was tipped with a 125 BH, shot out of a 70lbs ally @ 10 yards straight into a wooden post,,,,,,,,,,,,NO DAMAGE TO THE SHAFT:wink:

Bottom pic is another popular brand. Very close in spine and weight to the top pic, only this is a regular style insert,,,,,,,,,Same bow, BH, wooden post, and distance,,,,,,,,,,,,,DESTROYED,,,,,,,,Not only did it splinter and break at the insert, it also cracked the nock end of the shaft:confused:

Which one is a tougher shaft:confused:

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.