Archery Talk Forum banner

Arrow broke right out of the bow

1892 Views 34 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  stixshooter
I was shooting 3d today, and had an arrow break apart as soon as I released the string. I have shot these arrows many times with no problems, and the shot was no different than any other. I am only shooting at about 66 pounds out of my Evo, and they are 300 spine arrows. Has anybody else had this happen or does anybody know why it would happen? Scared the $#]% out of me!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you had probably hit it with another arrow at another time and slightly cracked it.
Maybe, but I check my arrows all the time and had no arrows hit each other today.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had this happen with a new bow and arrow,fun 4 hours of hospital.Carbon fiber buried in my hand
Ouch! I was lucky!

· Registered
476 Posts
Had it happen one time when shooting fixed blade broadheads. i just figured that the air pushing on the blades broke the shaft that had been damaged. My guess would be that the arrow had a small crack that was undetectable.

· Registered
1,359 Posts
See my post on this Forum titled "why I shoot ACCs and FMJs". I had a carbon arrow break into four pieces when shot today. I took pictures and have had several responses that the photos were staged and that I was doing some type fraud. Let me know if the photos of the arrow resemble your arrows breaks.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
See my post on this Forum titled "why I shoot ACCs and FMJs". I had a carbon arrow break into four pieces when shot today. I took pictures and have had several responses that the photos were staged and that I was doing some type fraud. Let me know if the photos of the arrow resemble your arrows breaks.
Mine broke almost just like that, but it definitly did not hit the target. There was fletching right at my feet, and the rest of it kind of flew randomly and landed next to the target. But the breaks looked like that, they were clean, almost like it was cut.

· Registered
3,243 Posts
It's happened at our store range a couple of times. We provide shafts for people checking out new bows or tuning, and we've trained our clerks to flex/check shafts before being shot.

Best of luck and good shootin'.

· Registered
854 Posts
thats why i dont shoot my arrows at the same dot. i just dont like damaging arrows. i just shoot at different targets or a target with multiple faces.
^^^^^ This X2

· Registered
18 Posts
Had this happen with a new bow and arrow,fun 4 hours of hospital.Carbon fiber buried in my hand
samething happened to my cousin when we were shooting last year. Arrow broke when he shot.Sounded like someone shot a gun when it broke. Spent 4 hours in the hospital with the doc picking carbon fibers out of the top of his hand with tweezers.I sat and watched.Makes you think twice about checking you're arrows before you shoot.

· Registered
7,049 Posts
I've seen it happen before, you may not have noticed but i'd bet money the arrow was damaged before you shot it ..Randy

· Registered
18 Posts
Once I was lucky with Trophy Ridge - no one injured. After a very careful inspection, during the shooting it has broken.

Attachments

· Socket Man
25,923 Posts
This is the only thing I don't like about carbon arrows, you can't tell when they might snap. Just be more religious about bending, I had one snap the other day and it didn't get hit from behind but on the way back to the bow I bent it just to pass the time walking and it snapped. It had been crushed from side pressure by two arrows stacked side by side and there was no noise when the arrow hit the target to warn me.

· Registered
2,094 Posts
I flex all of my arrows every second shot. Every shot if I am shooting 3 or 4 to a spot. I have seen too many of the "arrow stuck in hand" photos.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.