Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was practicing the other day and took a few shots at 30 yards. About my 3rd or 4th shot the arrow made a funny noise and hit a little low. I thought, "Oh well, it's a flier and I'll just check it when I get done with this end." Well, when I went to pull my arrows the back end of the arrow was just dangling. It broke about an inch in front of the vanes. Anyone ever had this happen? Do I need to get a stiffer arrow or what? Never happened to me before and I've been shooting the same arrows for the past 3 years. I am thinking about getting some GT Kinetic XT 300s though after this season to add some more weight and spine.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Sounds like you may be shooting some tight groups and could have cracked it in a previous shot.
If you're shooting groups you should check them after every round.
Other question would be are you using a loop?? If not then the arrow may have slid down the string a little when shot and hit the rest on the way through. I've seen both happen.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I use a loop. I usually bend my arrows about every 3-4 shots just to see if I hear any cracking or anything. Maybe I just missed that one. Don't know...

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
That is usually the case and the broken arrow is a reminder that you should check them every round or start shooting different spots each round.
With aluminum arrows this did'nt happen too often but carbons don't take hits to the side of the shaft very well.

Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts