Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start building my own arrows. Mainly because I believe it will bring another element to hunting and I want to tighten my groups up at farther distances. I'm gonna cover a few different topics but looking for any help and tips please. I know I'm gonna need a saw, I'm going to go with the vane master pro fletching jig, a squaring device, an arrow spin checker, glue, and a cleaning substance. I plan on playing around with 2" and 4" fletching's. I've researched to fletch the vanes as far back on the arrow as you can without it touching your face. Some people say the direction of helical doesn't matter and some say it does depending on what your bow shoots bare shaft? I plan on using maxima red SD w/ expendables for deer and gold tip kinetics w/ fixed for elk. Is there anything I'm missing or any tips for the process??

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Use gorilla glue gel, the green cap for the glue. Don't mess with "special" fletching glue... You will just waste time. Ask yourself if you want wraps... Which add a great look to the arrow as well. I use rubbing alcohol to clean the arrows and it works just fine.

If money is not an issue, then you can buy all that stuff but really how many times are you going to use it? Cut and square arrows once and then not use for another year or two. I would just have a bow shop do that and not have to store all that.. my .02...

You can see some of my arrows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Those are nice wraps, where do you get them?

I would also pass on the saw, if your not cutting dozens of shafts a year its best to use the shop - my local places cut mine for free.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Those are nice wraps, where do you get them?

I would also pass on the saw, if your not cutting dozens of shafts a year its best to use the shop - my local places cut mine for free.
I get the wraps from eBay... You can search traditional arrow wraps and a guy named bowmanhunter sells them.. he's a great guy. Always sends more than ordered... They are Much better quality than most for about the same price..

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you do consider a saw take a look at the modular arrow saw from t-bird archery. lancaster archery is a good place to buy. there is a u tube video demonstrating its use.

·
Hunter of many things
12,155 Posts
I want to start building my own arrows. Mainly because I believe it will bring another element to hunting and I want to tighten my groups up at farther distances. I'm gonna cover a few different topics but looking for any help and tips please. I know I'm gonna need a saw, I'm going to go with the vane master pro fletching jig, a squaring device, an arrow spin checker, glue, and a cleaning substance. I plan on playing around with 2" and 4" fletching's. I've researched to fletch the vanes as far back on the arrow as you can without it touching your face. Some people say the direction of helical doesn't matter and some say it does depending on what your bow shoots bare shaft? I plan on using maxima red SD w/ expendables for deer and gold tip kinetics w/ fixed for elk. Is there anything I'm missing or any tips for the process??
You have a it covered for the most part, now you just need to practice. Some additional tips......cut your arrows from both ends if need be after spinning to take out any wobble, less glue is more, vane contact is key (dry fit everything first), micro arrows are more difficult, make sure you have good glue (it doesnt last for ever).

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Thanks for the help guys! does anyone take spine indexing into consideration?
I def don't and have never had an issue with broadhead flight. I simply shoot the correct spine and put a slight helical on my vanes... Every broadhead I have shot flies like my field points... It's all about the correct spine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts