Archery Talk Forum banner

Arrow charts versus OT2 ???????????

1096 15
I just bought CX Maxima Hunters 250 arrows and according to the CX chart my draw weight and lenght is right in the middle of the range of the 250. I started shooting them and I am getting a lot of porpousing.
I loaded the OT2 trial program and according to that ( if I am doing it right) the 250 is very weak for my set-up.
Are the arrow charts off that much?

09 Bowtech Captain
62 lb (maxed)
29" draw
34" ATA
7" brace3
Meta peep and loop
100 gr points, inserts, 4" wraps, FOBS, Accunocks
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
5,664 Posts
The software is a better indicator. It takes into account the draw force curve of your bow as well as a lot of other things in your arrow setup that te charts don't. It is the best 25.00 I have spent on equipment.

Having said all of that, make sure you put all of the data into the software correctly, or else it just gives you garbage...garbage in = garbage out.

· Registered
4,074 Posts
I just bought CX Maxima Hunters 250 arrows and according to the CX chart my draw weight and lenght is right in the middle of the range of the 250. I started shooting them and I am getting a lot of porpousing.
I loaded the OT2 trial program and according to that ( if I am doing it right) the 250 is very weak for my set-up.
Are the arrow charts off that much?

09 Bowtech Captain
62 lb (maxed)
29" draw
34" ATA
7" brace3
Meta peep and loop
100 gr points, inserts, 4" wraps, FOBS, Accunocks
NICE BOW by the way...I have one and really like it.

The charts are not off if they are used with care. To use the charts you MUST calculate your adjusted draw weight by using their adders etc....you can just take your draw weight and use that!

I Posted a TAP screen to show that altough weak it isnt un-tuneable...matter af fact this is about where ACC's are spine wise and they shoot fantastic.

Attachments

· Full Throttle Baby
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NICE BOW by the way...I have one and really like it.

The charts are not off if they are used with care. To use the charts you MUST calculate your adjusted draw weight by using their adders etc....you can just take your draw weight and use that!

I Posted a TAP screen to show that altough weak it isnt un-tuneable...matter af fact this is about where ACC's are spine wise and they shoot fantastic.
What arrow lenght did you use?

· Registered
4,074 Posts
I have always felt that my bowtechs with binary cams prefer a stiffer spine, but did not thing that the CX chart would be off that far!!!
What makes you think the chart is off?? I just looked at what I posted and and forgot to change the Axle for the Captain...it puts the arrow closer to yellow....Like I said earlier...you HAVE TO use the adjusted draw weight and NOT just what your bow draws.....

the Captain is not THAT hard of a cam.......it isn't even as bad as my Allegiance....

Attachments

· Full Throttle Baby
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What makes you think the chart is off?? I just looked at what I posted and and forgot to change the Axle for the Captain...it puts the arrow closer to yellow....Like I said earlier...you HAVE TO use the adjusted draw weight and NOT just what your bow draws.....

the Captain is not THAT hard of a cam.......it isn't even as bad as my Allegiance....
I am not sure that I understand about the adjusted draw weight. Is the OT2 program the same?

Okay so you have a Captain and Allegiance, what else?

I have a 07 Tribute, 08 Allegiance, and 09 Captain

· Registered
5,664 Posts
You have to adjust things. Different arrow lengths, point weights, different wraps, different vanes, nocks, etc. If anything, its best to err on the side of stiff according to most people for BH flight (which I assume you are seeking).

that is one of the benefits of the programs..they allow you to play with arrow set ups before buying shafts and will get you pretty darn close.

I still think they account for more variables than a simple chart can cleanly...so I think they are a better tool.

But if a software programmer designer is telling you to just use the charts, I'm not going to argue with him. :confused:

· Registered
5,664 Posts

Compared to the "hard" cams of a couple years ago, the Binary cams are harder...I believe that is where a lot of the high velocities are now coming from, but I could be mistaken.

· Registered
4,074 Posts
I am not sure that I understand about the adjusted draw weight. Is the OT2 program the same?

Okay so you have a Captain and Allegiance, what else?

I have a 07 Tribute, 08 Allegiance, and 09 Captain
In order to use the CX chart......
First step is to calculate your adjusted draw weight.....this can be done here
http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/media/CX Adjusted Weight Chart.pdf

Then you goto the chart with your arrow length and your NEW draw weight.... this puts you right on the border of the 250/350 which ironically enough TAP does also. In my experience anything between the red/blue stiff to weak is tuneable....

Your arrows are fine. Look elsewhere for your fishtailing.....

· Full Throttle Baby
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You have to adjust things. Different arrow lengths, point weights, different wraps, different vanes, nocks, etc. If anything, its best to err on the side of stiff according to most people for BH flight (which I assume you are seeking).

that is one of the benefits of the programs..they allow you to play with arrow set ups before buying shafts and will get you pretty darn close.

I still think they account for more variables than a simple chart can cleanly...so I think they are a better tool.

But if a software programmer designer is telling you to just use the charts, I'm not going to argue with him. :confused:
I have played around with all the different point, insert, arrow lenght, vanes, nocks, and draw weight settings and all the 400 spine arrows require a 1" - 1 1/2" shorter arrow lenght than the draw lenght just to get close to a correct spine.

· Full Throttle Baby
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In order to use the CX chart......
First step is to calculate your adjusted draw weight.....this can be done here
http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/media/CX Adjusted Weight Chart.pdf

Then you goto the chart with your arrow length and your NEW draw weight.... this puts you right on the border of the 250/350 which ironically enough TAP does also. In my experience anything between the red/blue stiff to weak is tuneable....

Your arrows are fine. Look elsewhere for your fishtailing.....
Thanks for the info. I noticed that the Carbon Tech chart takes you to a page to adjusts your draw weight before you go to the arrow chart.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.