Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case you missed it...

there is a top notch Poster on these Forums; Hank D.Thoreau [a big hat tip to you sir!] and he does some very accurate and interesting scientific comparisons.

He did one on Arrow consistency between models that is worth a look in the trad forum here;
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5348433

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,336 Posts
I'd like to see this kind of testing on every arrow before they even release them. The best I've shot are the original CX Maxima lineup, and Trophy Ridge Crush. Better than even the ACC's IME.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd like to see this kind of testing on every arrow before they even release them. The best I've shot are the original CX Maxima lineup, and Trophy Ridge Crush. Better than even the ACC's IME.
Those Maximas may be straight...but the one year I shot them for 3d....they were the weakest arrow I've ever used...broke a bunch of them.
Went back to the same dozen Axis I had been using for 2 years- only one broken. those are some tough arrows and when I checked spine on them many years ago they were one of the best.
____

I was telling Steve [Hank T.] offline that we tested a bunch of different arrows years ago with a buddies spine tester and those Gold Tips were by far the worst. Seems they still are.

Anyone using those should number them and shoot them for groups with FP's to check for spine inconsistency...then spin 90 deg and refletch was needed. I feel sorry for a guy that just assembles his GT hunting arrow and doesn't test it with a BH....that spine inconsistency really plays heck with BH's.

Can you imagine a shot on a monster bull that didn't go where you want it...and it WAS the arrows fault?

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW, his next test is going to be groups of older carbon arrows....to see if they lose their spine consistency over time....good stuff from a good dude.

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
Bruce,

What fletching configuration do you run on your Axis and have with you played with different configurations to get the best flight and or noise characteristics?

Also...have you tried the Axis Pro yet?

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,336 Posts
Those Maximas may be straight...but the one year I shot them for 3d....they were the weakest arrow I've ever used...broke a bunch of them.
Went back to the same dozen Axis I had been using for 2 years- only one broken. those are some tough arrows and when I checked spine on them many years ago they were one of the best.
The only breaking I ever did with the Maxima's was from RH's. Didn't matter the shooting distance, it was as if those bulldog collars just sucked those arrows into each other. Fantastic accuracy! However, I couldn't get them stiff enough for anything over 60lbs with my draw length. I tried the 450's when they came out and they weren't anywhere near as accurate as the 350's were. I went through dozens of the 350's, but it was a blast shooting them LR and hearing them slap together all the time. If I ever go back to 60lbs, those will be all I shoot.

The Axis have been horrible as far as LR accuracy goes. I even set them up exactly like the TR Crush 300's with the same HIT's and nocks and vanes, and LR groups are at least twice the size. Hoping their new match grade Axis are better.

·
THE ORIGINAL
9,174 Posts
You CAN NOT beat Aluminum Carbon for longevity, spine consistency, and long range accuracy period. I've done the testing myself.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,336 Posts
You CAN NOT beat Aluminum Carbon for longevity, spine consistency, and long range accuracy period. I've done the testing myself.
I shot ACC's several years ago, but they didn't stay consistent for long. In their defense, it could have been the pin nocks I was using. I should give them another try with normal nocks.

·
THE ORIGINAL
9,174 Posts
Nothing holds it's spine longer than aluminum carbon

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bruce,

What fletching configuration do you run on your Axis and have with you played with different configurations to get the best flight and or noise characteristics?

Also...have you tried the Axis Pro yet?
I have not tried the pros. I end up shooting the same few dozen arrows for a long time- those Axis are a tough arrow. Mostly I have been shooting my recurve in the last few years...I shoot the plastic coated Beman MFX and Centershots. I think that plastic outer coating helps with spine consistency but I have no testing to back it up. When I started shooting the Axis I was using the Flex Fletch 300,360's a great fletch but a royal PITA to clean and I don't like messing with those nasty solvents [the only thing that worked] I've been using Blazers ever since. I tested those blazer with 1.5 deg offset vs Helical of over 2% and couldn't tell a difference with BH's at 40,50 yds. Blazers have been good but if I end up doing another batch of arrows I might go to those Vane techs.
___

Re the Maximas- in all fairness to them in my first post- For a time shooting 3D, I was using a lighter spine arrow, lighter arrow overall for speed and those Maximas were only 400 spine. I do believe a guy is much better using a heavier spine arrow for hunting- many advantages...but one being they are just plain tougher.

Nothing holds it's spine longer than aluminum carbon
^true...if that were the only criteria. Try hunting Alaskan swamp and having to use your bow as a snowshoe to extricate yourself from the muck. I suppose if you are careful pulling them they will hold up but those Alu/carbon shafts will hold a bend.

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
I have not tried the pros. I end up shooting the same few dozen arrows for a long time- those Axis are a tough arrow. Mostly I have been shooting my recurve in the last few years...I shoot the plastic coated Beman MFX and Centershots. I think that plastic outer coating helps with spine consistency but I have no testing to back it up. When I started shooting the Axis I was using the Flex Fletch 300,360's a great fletch but a royal PITA to clean and I don't like messing with those nasty solvents [the only thing that worked] I've been using Blazers ever since. I tested those blazer with 1.5 deg offset vs Helical of over 2% and couldn't tell a difference with BH's at 40,50 yds. Blazers have been good but if I end up doing another batch of arrows I might go to those Vane techs.
___

Re the Maximas- in all fairness to them in my first post- For a time shooting 3D, I was using a lighter spine arrow, lighter arrow overall for speed and those Maximas were only 400 spine. I do believe a guy is much better using a heavier spine arrow for hunting- many advantages...but one being they are just plain tougher.

^true...if that were the only criteria. Try hunting Alaskan swamp and having to use your bow as a snowshoe to extricate yourself from the muck. I suppose if you are careful pulling them they will hold up but those Alu/carbon shafts will hold a bend.
Ffp 360 is easy to Fletch if you use zing primer. I've never had one come off using their primer and a super glue of your choice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
THE ORIGINAL
9,174 Posts
___

Yes but so can carbon. The ACCs can also be straightened where as the carbon can not. There is no comparison in longevity between PC and ACCs. Much research has been done. If you want to replace arrows every so often just due to age PCs are "okay" or "passable" if you get the exact right ones, but in general PCs are junk after a year of hard use.

·
THE ORIGINAL
9,174 Posts
Ffp 360 is easy to Fletch if you use zing primer. I've never had one come off using their primer and a super glue of your choice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Agreed. Totally bomb proof if applied correctly. Love the new SKs.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes but so can carbon. The ACCs can also be straightened where as the carbon can not. There is no comparison in longevity between PC and ACCs. Much research has been done. If you want to replace arrows every so often just due to age PCs are "okay" or "passable" if you get the exact right ones, but in general PCs are junk after a year of hard use.
who straightens their arrows anymore? We used to do that back in the 80's with those XX75's....but I tossed my homemade straightener.

I've mostly used the Axis and Beman 5mm shafts for almost the last 20 yrs. They hold up extremely well. Carpet bales are the hardest on them. I lube my arrows regularly with Woodys or Bow Snot. When I wasn't the front end would essentially make them a junk arrow after about 9 months. Hard use....yeah it will vary. My next set of arrows might be those FMJ's....but I don't like how shiny they are.

·
THE ORIGINAL
9,174 Posts
who straightens their arrows anymore? We used to do that back in the 80's with those XX75's....but I tossed my homemade straightener.

I've mostly used the Axis and Beman 5mm shafts for almost the last 20 yrs. They hold up extremely well. Carpet bales are the hardest on them. I lube my arrows regularly with Woodys or Bow Snot. When I wasn't the front end would essentially make them a junk arrow after about 9 months. Hard use....yeah it will vary. My next set of arrows might be those FMJ's....but I don't like how shiny they are.
FMJs are a great option. Tough too.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
If you fletch your arrows with the spine marked, accuracy drastically increases where fixed heads are concerned. I shoot GT XT Hunters and I believe they are .003 straightness. Before i started doing this, i was all over the place with certain broadheads. Now i’m golden. I’m not sure how to find the spine and never tried really. I started buying my arrows from Jerry at SouthShore Archery out of Florida. They go thru the process and put a little numbered sticker below the “top” vane making it simple to know where the spine is when i re fletch. Come to think of it, it’s time to order a dozen. I’m down to about a dozen. Funny, i had over 3 dozen a few years ago.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts

I experimented with different arrows a few years ago during the off season but kept going back to GT. A solid tough arrow that takes a beating. I practice long distance and have been known to miss my 3D target hitting rocks, branches and anything else. That said, i decided to try the Axis arrows on 1 stint. After a few weeks of target practice and hard impacts on my 3D target, (with no misses on my 3D target) i had several come apart. (Maybe a bad batch?) Luckily they came apart after the arrow cleared my riser. After seeing what an arrow coming apart did to one of my buddy’s hand, i assure you i did not want that type of injury. I went back to GT’s and haven’t looked back. I too use Woody’s Arrow Lube.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,336 Posts
I shoot GT XT Hunters. I’m down to about a dozen. Funny, i had over 3 dozen a few years ago.
I've never tried the Hunters but the Kinetics seem to break very easily. On the other hand, I'm still shooting my original dozen TR Crush 300's that I put together in 2008 and shot exclusively through 2014. Those arrows have been almost indestructible. I've shot T-posts and even shot the back end of one from 20 yards and all it did was put a dent in the shaft. I cut 1/4" off it, installed a new nock, and kept shooting it. Man, I wish they were still making those, and in a .250 spine.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts