Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new shooter and I'm still making stupid mistakes while shooting.

I have 3 arrows which have missed my target completely and plowed into the ground. The only damage I can see is that the end where the nock is has cracked (the nock flew out and is no where to be found).

I'm not sure why the arrows have cracked there but that's what's happened to all three. These arrows are about 1-1/4" longer than they need to be.

Can I strip the fletching, cut off an inch from the nock end, re-fletch, and shoot them?

The more I think about it, the dumber this idea sounds. Too risky for a $5 BPS arrow but is it possible?

·
Registered
92 Posts
arrows are garbage now throw them out you can be seriously injured.

·
Registered
11,380 Posts
I'm a new shooter and I'm still making stupid mistakes while shooting.

I have 3 arrows which have missed my target completely and plowed into the ground. The only damage I can see is that the end where the nock is has cracked (the nock flew out and is no where to be found).

I'm not sure why the arrows have cracked there but that's what's happened to all three. These arrows are about 1-1/4" longer than they need to be.

Can I strip the fletching, cut off an inch from the nock end, re-fletch, and shoot them?

The more I think about it, the dumber this idea sounds. Too risky for a $5 BPS arrow but is it possible?
You could do this, yes. You NEED to be very careful and make sure they are not damaged anywhere else though... if they are damaged anywhere else.. throw them out.

·
Alien Mafia Member
3,765 Posts
Mistakes? yeah, we all did.
Stupid? not so much, you have asked advice, always a good move.

To answer your question, yes you can, but wether you should....?

If the crack has weakened the arrow further down, shortening it and reshooting could cause a failure.
This could lead to major injury to you if the arrow blows as it is leaving your bow.
You have already questioned the advisability of doing this at the end of your post.
Go with your gut, it is telling you no, you have good instincts:thumbs_up

Kev

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have had the samething happen to me. The nock broke coming off the string on two different arrows. They were Gold Tip Pro Hunter 55/75 27"
and 100 grain tip. There was no damage to the shaft just the nock. The
only thing I could think of is that it was very hot and humidit that day in
Florida.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
it can be done yes, is it risky, yes, is it worth i for the risk, no,, the crack could be a flaw or just extend farther than what you see

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
I would add maybe them $5.00 arrows might not even close to what you should be shooting & thats why your missing the target . If the spine is way off you could do other damage to bow and maybe you .

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
As another poster said , follow your instincts.

They are tomato stakes! or if you have cats, tie a feather on the shaft with some serving material and you have a cheap cat toy. :D

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good advice, thanks all.

Since I don't have any tomato plants, what I'm going to do is use the shafts to practice fletching. I want to fletch my own arrows but have never done it so I figure I will learn on a few broken shafts before buying some unfleched shafts and trying it for real.

·
Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,268 Posts
Make some truck antennas out f them and go buy some better arrows.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Good advice, thanks all.

Since I don't have any tomato plants, what I'm going to do is use the shafts to practice fletching. I want to fletch my own arrows but have never done it so I figure I will learn on a few broken shafts before buying some unfleched shafts and trying it for real.
You could do that but I think fletching is so painfully easy you might just be wasting fletchings doing that. If you mess up a proper shaft you can always strip it and start over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts