Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys/Gals,
I've be playing around with arrow cresting for sometime now, but recently I'm trying carbons. I have carbon express heritages. I was able to remove the logo from the arrow but now I want to crest them. I crested them as a would cedars which turned out ok but the first shot scraped a lot of the cresting off. I then crested polycrilic over the cresting no help. Polyethylene removed the paint all together. Anyone have luck with this?

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
I've always put cresting on over a sprayed on cap. Clean the shaft with 0000 steel wool and acetone, wipe clean. Tape of the area of the crest, hit it with a coat of spray on primer. I then follow with three coats of white spray on enamel. All from spray cans bought at the local hardware store.

The cresting goes on next followed by two or three coats of water based wipe on poly (doesn't yellow like oil based). The white under the crest really seems to "pop" the colors.

That process has produced a beautiful dip/crest on carbons that lasts for years. In fact the downside is when the feathers finally get so torn up they need to be replaced I'm having a hard time removing everything down to a bare shaft.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've always put cresting on over a sprayed on cap. Clean the shaft with 0000 steel wool and acetone, wipe clean. Tape of the area of the crest, hit it with a coat of spray on primer. I then follow with three coats of white spray on enamel. All from spray cans bought at the local hardware store.

The cresting goes on next followed by two or three coats of water based wipe on poly (doesn't yellow like oil based). The white under the crest really seems to "pop" the colors.

That process has produced a beautiful dip/crest on carbons that lasts for years. In fact the downside is when the feathers finally get so torn up they need to be replaced I'm having a hard time removing everything down to a bare shaft.
Thank you very much! I'll throw up some pics once I get them completed. Now I see how you hit 10,000 posts. Teaching us young guns the ropes. :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think more than a wrap. If you don't believe it get your scale out. Weight a wrap then spray in the cap the amount you would crest and see...I do it for my traditional arrows. To me it's the same reward I get from making bullets only better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think more than a wrap. If you don't believe it get your scale out. Weight a wrap then spray in the cap the amount you would crest and see...I do it for my traditional arrows. To me it's the same reward I get from making bullets only better.
Agreed, I think it is to small to factor into arrow performance.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Before 9" spray crown and crest 433.9 grains. Post white spray, yellow spray and Testors crests and two coats of spray clear. 437.2 grains. 3.3 grains total paint.

·
Registered
20,666 Posts
I use Rustoleum High Performance Enamel spray for the base and then Testors enamel for the cresting. Then cover with a clear Rustoleum enamel to protect it all. Just keep enamel with enamel so you don't have curing issues from different types of paint.

I've used that on a couple dozen carbons and they only get damaged when hitting shafts together in the target.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts