Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm sure this has probably been asked a thousand times but I'm new here so you'll just have to excuse me.

I'm currently shooting 2315's @ 238 fps. Went to the local bow shop yesterday and shot a carbon arrow through my bow @ 272 fps. Foot pounds of energy calculates out to be virtually the same. Question is, what do you guys think I should do? Should I switch to carbon? Never had a problem with the aluminum, but the extra speed would be nice. The cost to switch would not be so nice. Also, I've heard some horror stories of carbons exploding. That doesn't sit too well with me. Just confused about what to do I guess.

How 'bout some input!!

Thanks

·
Registered
448 Posts
GET Carbon

I shot aluminum for years and for the past 4 years I have been shooting gold tip hunters. You can buy a more expensive shaft but the hunters seem to work fine. Pros: Cost compared to quality aluminum is the same or even less expensive, flatter trajectory, as you statd KE was about the same, more durable do not bend/break easily unless hit by another arrow. I will probably never shoot aluminum again. If you are hunting whitetails the KE difference will not be as important as the speed gain you will get. Andrew

·
Registered
705 Posts
Arrow Question

I would shoot the carbon,and agree on the GT's. I have shot them for 3 yrs now and fell in the end they have been cheaper than alum. Stay straighter,even if not quite as straight to start. I have never had one "blow" up, They will ,however break clean if you hit them on the side. otherwise mine have lasted longer than any alum I have shot,including X-7's. I have 1 that has shot 3 deer and is still in my quiver.

JMHO
ROB B

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Sawblade,
As far as "blowing up" I think you need only be aware of this characteristic of carbon shafts. If you use the wrapped carbon variety it's is unlikely that you would run in to this, But watch for it, you certainly do not want to ingest carbon fibers this could lead to some serious problems. You stated that you gained significant speed, Did you see how they grouped for you.

Targetnut

1 - 4 of 4 Posts