Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me what causes an arrow to explode? i was out back shooting at my 3d deer target and an arrow exploded. luckily it made it past my bow hand. it came apart on the peep end and broke in 2 about 10" from the vains. it was a st axis 340 with about 100 shots or less and never hit anything other than the 3d target and maybe a bail of straw behind it. shot out of a maxxed out destroyer350. been shooting muzzy mx4's for the last couple days. since the bh butts up against the carbon could the shock cause the arrow to split? the mx4 has a little bigger diameter than the arrow where it butts and no ring in between like the slick tricks. could it be an isolated incident? factory defect maybe? its got me a little nervous about shooting these arrows. thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
Looks like there was an unnoticed crack at the nock end. Probably caused from shooting arrows at the same spot, and slapping them together.

·
Registered
492 Posts
It might have had a small crack in it. I had one Brake on me when I shot it out of my A M. I was shooting GoldTip and I had another one brake in half this week. Can't wait to get my Victorys ready to shoot.

Another thing is it might be under spined.

·
Just beat Terry Club
9,334 Posts
Always inspect carbon arrows, especially if they got smacked. Little cracks lead to exploded arrows when the force of the bow acts on them.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Small crack or nick in the arrow, Folks need to check arrows every now and again. Dont want shards in your hand

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Two words....

"Buy aluminum...."

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like there was an unnoticed crack at the nock end. Probably caused from shooting arrows at the same spot, and slapping them together.
i will say that i have had some very tight groups at times and arrows actually touching at times. just couldn't find any cracks after inspecting them when ive had arrows touching. these arrows being black i guess makes cracks difficult to detect

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just had a knock break off of one, a muzzy mx4 push up inside the shaft and split another one and a muzzy broke off at the end of the shaft. i think i'm gonna go back to the gold tips. my 82nd is faster than the destroyer slightly and i never had a problem with the GT's. these arrows i know for a fact had no contact with other arrows cause they are new and i was shooting my 3d target and shooting from 70-80 yards and not grouping very tight. what a drag.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Looks like the nock came apart on release. The string was then working on the back end of the arrow splitting it. Carbon arrows check the arrow and the nock.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
Looks like the nock came apart on release. The string was then working on the back end of the arrow splitting it. Carbon arrows check the arrow and the nock.
distinct but nearly unnoticeable possibility ,about the only way you would notice if the nock is a little loose.... along with a small crack, if you stack you will crack!!! shooter beware, its your skin

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
ck the insert if it dosen't have a hole in it you get a gas buildup & blows out the back end.(stright from carbon ex) must remove nock before gluing insert.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
The best thing I have found is to flex them under a light source. You will see the flaw more easily. Just keep flexing and spinning in your hands. Sometimes if you dont flex them the crack is almost impossible to see.
Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts