Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Kung fu master/Wizard
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I conducted a test to see if two arrows with the same total grain weight, but different front of center weight distributions, have different ballistic trajectories. One arrow is 0% front of center. One arrow is 16% front of center. See for yourself.

-YOOAxogfTc&t=2s

·
Kung fu master/Wizard
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plenty more videos to come gentlemen, please poke the like button and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

·
Hunter of many things
12,126 Posts
I like your Laboratory. haha

Good to see people doing actual tests. IMO it makes sense to see little variation because both arrows have the same overall weight.

The other thing I noticed was at 80yds the penetration was the same, and I think we had a thread a while back kind of saying FOC is a bit overrated when it comes to penetration.

Someone should do a test next on accuracy and grouping, does FOC reduce group sizes.

·
Kung fu master/Wizard
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Good to see people doing actual tests. IMO it makes sense to see little variation because both arrows have the same overall weight.
Agreed. And for the record I'm not saying that there is absolutely no difference in trajectory. I AM saying that for all but the most extreme purposes, the difference in trajectory is negligible. For example: If you are shooting over 100 yards, you will probably be able to measure a difference in trajectory. It will probably be a difference of inches.

However, if you are hunting or shooting any popular current archery competition round, difference in trajectory would not be worth consideration.

All that being said, I would advise to choose a specific FOC arrow build and make all your arrows the same for best grouping purposes.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts

The other thing I noticed was at 80yds the penetration was the same, and I think we had a thread a while back kind of saying FOC is a bit overrated when it comes to penetration.

Someone should do a test next on accuracy and grouping, does FOC reduce group sizes.
In a target your not going to see much if any penetration difference on two arrows same weight but different foc. Unless the low foc is underspined.

Increase foc is controlling the forward lever arm. So it improves penetration on hard impacts

·
Kung fu master/Wizard
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In a target your not going to see much if any penetration difference on two arrows same weight but different foc. Unless the low foc is underspined.

Increase foc is controlling the forward lever arm. So it improves penetration on hard impacts
THIS would be an awesome test. Two arrows, same grain weight, different foc, measure penetration into ballistic gel block.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Good idea and good start, but need a bigger sample and better controls before drawing any conclusions. The 0% arrow has the same vertical impact as the 16% arrow at 20, then hits 1" higher at 40, then hits 5" lower at 60, then hits 5" higher at 80. I think most reasonable people will recognize that has more to do with the shooter than the specific ballistic characteristics of the arrow(s) tested.

·
Registered
11,787 Posts
In for the watch later when I get off.
GuntherChaconne you let me down though, we need the pimp hat on in the video!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Kung fu master/Wizard
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good idea and good start, but need a bigger sample and better controls before drawing any conclusions. The 0% arrow has the same vertical impact as the 16% arrow at 20, then hits 1" higher at 40, then hits 5" lower at 60, then hits 5" higher at 80. I think most reasonable people will recognize that has more to do with the shooter than the specific ballistic characteristics of the arrow(s) tested.
Even if I did a rigorous double blind scientific study, the difference would still be negligible. Meaning: The FOC would ONLY make a meaningful difference in a TESTING situation, at the VERY end of the arrow's trajectory on an EXTREMELY long shot.

·
Hunter of many things
12,126 Posts
THIS would be an awesome test. Two arrows, same grain weight, different foc, measure penetration into ballistic gel block.
So when can we expect to see this test?? :set1_thinking: :wink:

·
Kung fu master/Wizard
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In for the watch later when I get off.
GuntherChaconne you let me down though, we need the pimp hat on in the video!!!!

I wanted to show off my new haircut.

But I do have a dynamite new Kangol that I got for my birthday. Please like and subscribe for future hat expositions.

·
Kung fu master/Wizard
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So when can we expect to see this test?? :set1_thinking: :wink:
If some kind benefactor of science would be so kind as to hook me up with a block of ballistic gel, I will go hog wild and do all kinds of extremely precise tests.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
It was my understanding and interpretation that FOC becomes important when looking at fixed blade broadhead flight? I would love to see you screw on some big fixed blades and see what happens.

·
Registered
11,787 Posts
I wanted to show off my new haircut.

But I do have a dynamite new Kangol that I got for my birthday. Please like and subscribe for future hat expositions.
Sweet, can’t wait!!!! Ha’

·
Kung fu master/Wizard
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It was my understanding and interpretation that FOC becomes important when looking at fixed blade broadhead flight? I would love to see you screw on some big fixed blades and see what happens.
These videos take alot of time and energy to make and I do not get paid or receive any free equipment for making them. The only motivation I have to make videos is the satisfaction that people are watching and enjoying them.

That being said, I'll make a deal. If the citizens of ArcheryTalk bump my YouTube subcribership up to 100 subscribers I will make a much more in depth FOC experiment video. I have 78 subscribers at the time of this posting so I think that's a fair number.

Let me know what you think gents. I love making the videos I just need motivation.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
These videos take alot of time and energy to make and I do not get paid or receive any free equipment for making them. The only motivation I have to make videos is the satisfaction that people are watching and enjoying them.

That being said, I'll make a deal. If the citizens of ArcheryTalk bump my YouTube subcribership up to 100 subscribers I will make a much more in depth FOC experiment video. I have 78 subscribers at the time of this posting so I think that's a fair number.

Let me know what you think gents. I love making the videos I just need motivation.
hell, I'm in!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
Congratulations on actually doing tests to answer questions. :thumbs_up

In my own testing a few years ago, I collected random arrow, all with different length, weight, spine, fletching, etc. They were found arrows from public ranges and arrows from my clubs arrow bucket.

Up to about 20 yards the only arrow factor that made significant difference was arrow diameter. ACC's impacted low and 2613 impacted high. Everything else was in between. Of course I had to run this test quite a few times because the other factor was my shooting ability. :(

At longer distances, the differences became more significant, but arrow diameter was still the biggest factor.

Allen

The more precisely arrows are matched, the better. But for short range, it's not as critical.

·
DCA Custom Arrows
225 Posts
We need a couple go-fund-mes for Josh... aka "Gunther"... aka Archery Mad Scientist.
- One for scientific archery test equipment
- One for sweet hats and beard oil.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts