Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As your shooting form improves and your equipment and bow are upgraded, arrows are thinner, do you still need a 2in blazer or AAE pro hunter vane to control arrow flight or can a smaller vane be used as less correction is needed because of better technique, and still be accurate? If so how small a vane are you all using?

·
Snafu
1,425 Posts
I went away from the Blazers on my hunting arrows for several reasons. I shoot 3.6" FFP360 vanes on my hunting arrows. Easton Carbon Injexion 330. My average group at 100 yards is about 8 inches.

My target bow I use ffp180 vanes 1.8" long on Cartel Triple 300 shafts.

You can probably get by with smaller fletching as you and your equipment improves. The benefit is negligible in my opinion. The amount of weight or drag caused by a full 2" Blazer or a 4" vane is not enough to worry about. I even stopped using the AZ Mini fletch because of the extreme amount of helical. I did not see an improvement in my groups. I went back to the FFP fletching described above after experimenting a little bit.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Depends on broadhead as well with FOC...with heavy foc you dont need as much fletching to control your arrow

My favorite are the flex fletch 360 like lee said there amazing but double in price for only 36 of them but great products

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
tuning has the most to do with arrow control,, vanes add to that,,, a poorly tuned bow will shoot better with the most control possible, like a 4" or 5" feather,,,,most bows are better than that so you can get by with less fletching..... like a 3" or a 2" vane,, a properly tuned bow can get by with even less,, like the mini vanes ( super spine" vane tec offers) ....... upgrading equipment might not make any improvement at all , however in the hands of a skilled archer better equipment can indeed help.... but dont expect new equipment to make you better by itself

i have tried just about every size and style of fletch on the market (except fobs) ,, i have settled on 3" feathers ,,, they give me great flight and broad head control even at extended ranges,, while i can get by with less,,, i still prefer fixed broadheads and i still want the fletch controlling the flight, not the head..... the 3" feather has proven to be enough for what i want...

·
Registered
8,434 Posts
Match the vane to the game.

Indoors, bigger is generally better.
Same for fixed blade broadheads.
Field archery - smaller vanes to reduce drag.
Outdoor Target - since is now maximum 50 yards for compound, you don't need a vane quite as small as for field archery.
3D - same as outdoor target.

If you have any question of whether your fletching is best for your shooting, get a few vanes of each type you are interested in and shoot them until you see a pattern. Everyone is different and we get different results with the various details of bow setup.

Allen

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
As your shooting form improves and your equipment and bow are upgraded, arrows are thinner, do you still need a 2in blazer or AAE pro hunter vane to control arrow flight or can a smaller vane be used as less correction is needed because of better technique, and still be accurate? If so how small a vane are you all using?
If your perfect you can probably get by with small fletching, but why risk it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.