Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im very new to archery bout 8 months in 5 bows deep. yup and it all has to do with arrow flight. so i noticed at the range 70yards . a couple local guys i notice that the arrows are shooting flat and hard and when i shoot mine it has curve while in flight like a rainbow. i asked they said i need a better bow was shooting a martin chameleon , so i bought a hoyt powermax same thing. i asked someone else said i need a turbo so i bought a carbon spyder turbo guess what same rainbow flight so i talked to someone at a shop, hey the non turbo bows like the carbon defiant ,pro defiant ect. or bows with 80lbs limbs capacity will shoot a flat arrow no rainbow. so is this true cause im running out of cash lol i have rx1 turbo and im debating the carbon defiant is next to try . feed back desperately needed

·
Registered
106 Posts
You can’t escape the laws of physics. Arrow trajectory is based on mass and velocity.
Recommendation is to go to a local archery store and try various bows vs buying what everyone tells you you need.
There you can try various bow and arrow combinations to see what you like, and they can give you knowledgeable advice.
If you’re going for a flatter trajectory, perhaps you’re shooting a heavier arrow than those around you.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Your shooting a bow, not a laser. A fast bow with a light arrow will minimize the "rainbow", but you wont get rid of it. Stop buying bows and keep the CST.

·
Registered
8,629 Posts
As long as your arrow sticks in the target and doesn't hit the ceiling your bow is fast enough for the distance you are shooting, and you can be just as accurate with a large "rainbow" as you can with a flatter trajectory.

PS- Those other shooters also have a arc in their shot, perhaps just not as much as yours.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
The only way to a flatter trajectory is with more draw weight and a lighter arrow. What arrows are you shooting now?

·
Registered
51,184 Posts
Your chasing your tail and wasting money. 70 yards ALL arrows "rainbow"! It is more important you hit your mark.

·
Registered
733 Posts
If you're just trying to shoot a flat trajectory you might consider going lighter. How heavy are your arrows vs your friends arrows? If you're shooting something straight out of a box from a Cabelas then they're probably pretty heavy; lots of guys "grain out" by making their own arrows. Also, it's possible your friends are shooting under the minimum recommended arrow mass for their draw weight, which would also give them a much faster arrow and flatter trajectory, but can be dangerous and is extremely hard on their bow.

You also need to consider your draw length as well. If you've got short stumpy T-rex arms (like me) then you won't be able to hit the same speed as a guy with arms like an orangatan; he can simply pull the bow back further (which means more energy hence more speed).

Like some of the other posters mentioned already, you have to be reasonable about how flat you intend your arrow to shoot; bows are not guns, and words like "flat" and "hard" have no meaning here. If you're planning on shooting for distance, a little weight might not hurt you because the arrow will resist wind drift a bit more. If you posted more info about your setup (draw length, arrow make, arrow weight, etc) we might be able to help you out a bit more.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Being a newbie I'd pick the bow you like best of the lot and use it exclusively to develop your form and forget about how the arrow flies. I could care less how much rainbow my arrow has on the way to the target as long as I accurately, repeatably hit what I am aiming at.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,814 Posts
Keep searching and buying new bows until you get a super flat one. Don't worry about accuracy, tuning or quietness if you are a hunter because the speed fixes all that!

Then you will be a top notch archer and the best bow hunter in the world like the people at the range. Or you could just get good with your bow and not get caught up in the rat race and have the same results....…….lol.

·
Registered
8,629 Posts
Keep searching and buying new bows until you get a super flat one. Don't worry about accuracy, tuning or quietness if you are a hunter because the speed fixes all that!

Then you will be a top notch archer and the best bow hunter in the world like the people at the range. Or you could just get good with your bow and not get caught up in the rat race and have the same results....…….lol.

Of course if the OP wishes to buy a few of the new BowTech flagships and sell them cheap...

·
Back Yard Champion
29,837 Posts
You listening? You've got some good advice, take it, use it.

Accuracy is first and foremost.....

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
Your observation of an arrow launched other shooters as "flat" may be attributed to a couple of things. Sometimes I shoot Victory 3DHV small diameter shafts with very small fletchings and people often comment on how fast they are (they are actually going 285 FPS) but they appear faster than they are. A large arrow with big fletchings looks slower.

·
Registered
11,806 Posts
hi im very new to archery bout 8 months in 5 bows deep. yup and it all has to do with arrow flight. so i noticed at the range 70yards . a couple local guys i notice that the arrows are shooting flat and hard and when i shoot mine it has curve while in flight like a rainbow. i asked they said i need a better bow was shooting a martin chameleon , so i bought a hoyt powermax same thing. i asked someone else said i need a turbo so i bought a carbon spyder turbo guess what same rainbow flight so i talked to someone at a shop, hey the non turbo bows like the carbon defiant ,pro defiant ect. or bows with 80lbs limbs capacity will shoot a flat arrow no rainbow. so is this true cause im running out of cash lol i have rx1 turbo and im debating the carbon defiant is next to try . feed back desperately needed
Your first mistake was listening to the guys at the range......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts