Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the hunters forum this morning but it's really an arrow question not a hunting question and it went unanswered
I hope someone can help me here

ok Im sitting here, its opening day, and pouring down the rain so this thread gets me thinking and I measure my FOC
On my hunting arrows its 14%
I have been considering going to an 85 grain broad head so I removed two blades to get an 86 grain tip and measure the FOC to get 12.28%
Here's my question
Would I be better off sticking with the 100 grain or going with the 85s?
my arrow with 100 grain tips weighs 395 grains
I am shooting 62 pounds at 28" draw out of my Turbohawk (XTR 3)
28.5 inch Easton St Epic 400s

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I posted this in the hunters forum this morning but it's really an arrow question not a hunting question and it went unanswered
I hope someone can help me here

ok Im sitting here, its opening day, and pouring down the rain so this thread gets me thinking and I measure my FOC
On my hunting arrows its 14%
I have been considering going to an 85 grain broad head so I removed two blades to get an 86 grain tip and measure the FOC to get 12.28%
Here's my question
Would I be better off sticking with the 100 grain or going with the 85s?
my arrow with 100 grain tips weighs 395 grains
I am shooting 62 pounds at 28" draw out of my Turbohawk (XTR 3)
28.5 inch Easton St Epic 400s
...I've always liked a little heavier FOC on my hunting shafts so that if the going gets tough...the arrows keep on going without trying to figure out which end is supposed to be heading down range!! :D

...your FOC deal for the most part appears to not be significant enough and is a matter at this point of being personal preference...

...although KE should be a bit higher with the 100gr heads...

...me, I'd stick with the 100gr stuff...if you ever go away from home...100gr heads are much easier to find too :cool:

...just the view from my stake :darkbeer:

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
...I've always liked a little heavier FOC on my hunting shafts so that if the going gets tough...the arrows keep on going without trying to figure out which end is supposed to be heading down range!! :D

...your FOC deal for the most part appears to not be significant enough and is a matter at this point of being personal preference...

...although KE should be a bit higher with the 100gr heads...

...me, I'd stick with the 100gr stuff...if you ever go away from home...100gr heads are much easier to find too :cool:

...just the view from my stake :darkbeer:
Agree 100% UNLESS spine is an issue and you are on the light side,go with the lighter heads and if on the stiff side,stick with the 100 but I rarely see anyone right on that line that it makes a difference.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your answers guys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts