Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
I don’t hunt for the sport I hunt for the meat
25,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He's shooting around 50# elite and wants to shoot 40ke rage heads so gonna need a little weight I think. What arrow do u recommend?

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I'd build up an arrow to about 375-400 grains and I would Dutch the rage 40ke(wife tried them at that weight no success). Get a good fixed blade head and he will be fine. A 400 spine black eagle carnivore would work well and use a brass insert to get some foc

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Bass Pro Blackout Envy x3s or x5s are a decent arrow. Great value for $$ spent.
Set up with a 3 or 4 blade 100 grain Muzzy will not only shoot very well, but will get the job done.

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
I'd go with aluminum arrows. They have the weight needed. And, there's no chance of them shooting a cracked carbon and getting injured. Kids miss the target a lot... 3-D, stump shooting, small game or even just target practice. You can lightly spray paint the front half of his practice arrows white... way easier to find them! ;)
When he was 12yo, my boy killed his first deer with a 40KE... 20yds and his bow was set at 38lbs. He didn't get an exit, but the spike didn't go far, either.
I would have had him using a COC type head, but his form was not consistent enough to keep them in the kill zone... probably torque related. So, to eliminate the wind planing, I went with what I knew worked... the 40KEs.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,217 Posts

·
Registered
I don’t hunt for the sport I hunt for the meat
25,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Da white sweet pic. Yea that's my thing i know he won't be consistant with form right away. I'm a rage guy so figured 40 ke would be a great head. He won't be shooting more then 20 yds anyways at deer.

·
Registered
9,772 Posts
Find a good arrow that matches up to
His bow throw whatever head you want on it and it will kill. My kid killed 5 deer with a 280 grain finished arrow 35 lbs draw with the 40ke head furthest was 33 yards. Complete pass through.

Don't over think it.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I would get some goldtip velocity xt's cut them down to a finished length of 25 inches acculite insert and knocks and add insert weights till y'all get the total weight and foc y'all want and put some rage ss on it.

I use fthe hunter xt's and have a 27 5/8th draw and have mine right now at 439 grains and with more weights can get it even higher.

The shorter you cut it the stiffer the spine will become, I'm useing the 400 but cut down it makes it really stiff, so I could add lots of insert weight to up the foc and increase my ke and momentum for better chance of a pass throw with the rage ss.

Hope this helps sir.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
If you want him to shoot a mechanical. Get some rocket steelheads. He will get a lot better penetration. Iam with ar1220. I would not recommend rage ke. Just my opinion though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts