Archery Talk Forum banner

arrow grains for deer

7916 Views 73 Replies 45 Participants Last post by  Shouldernuke!
do some of you guys use lite arrows around 300 to 330 grains for hunting to get the speed up , and what kind of sucsess have you had on deer ? good pass throughs ? I know you loss some energy but 2-3 pounds will it make enough difference ?
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

· Registered
1,296 Posts
I shoot a ACC 3-39 at about 360gr no problems. I shot lighted shafts in the 330gr range and with proper placement wont be a problem.

· THwack--CRASH
11,208 Posts
too lite ....get into the 350 range and up!
todays bows already have the speed up ....i'd be happy with a 400gr arrow at 270 as to a 300gr going 350fps

· THwack--CRASH
11,208 Posts
I have had luck in th 360 to400 range and didn't notice a differents between them just wondering if i dropped to 330 or so would i see any penatration loss . I shot 60 lbs and 28 "
a small fixed head would work for you ,but those lite arrows stop really fast when it hits anything!
at an 1 1/2" cut it will stop very quickly.
if you want to be a happy camper stay with the 350 and up range.
ke is a funny thing to deal with.....numbers are misleading.
example two set-ups with the same ke values lite fast and heavy and slow......the heavy and slow will get more meat with his set-up!
so with that said a 375 gr @270-280 fps is in the middle range.
speed is alright ,don't get me wrong ,it's that it too, comes at a price.....noise,penatration,bow fatigue,tunable bow,on and on.

· Bent Not Broken
3,451 Posts
My last several seasons were with 312gr arrows. Never had a problem I didn't cause. I used a COC BH just to be sure.

· Registered
1,418 Posts
ive run the gammet on arrow weight ive shot 80 lb bows with 550 grain arrows and now im shooting 60lbs and 340 grain arrows to be honest i dont see any difference in penetration they all end up in the dirt. id say if you shoot it well run it but speed isnt the cure all.

· Registered
3,882 Posts
i shoot a 350 grain arrow with no issues but i use a fixed head. muzzy has worked well and montecs also. if your gonna go below 360 grains i would stick with fixed coc heads. they will work but if you hit hard bone your gonna wish you had a little more punch behind it

· Registered
754 Posts
At 60 lbs. I would stay in the 360 to 400 range, plenty of speed and more penetration, I shoot 52 lbs. and 361.7 grains.

· Registered
825 Posts
I like 400. Lost a nice buck 2 years ago due to moving to a light arrow. Heavier is always better for hunting in my opinion.

· Banned
2,358 Posts
500gr arrow/broadhead combo, flying at 150fps, will give complete pass through on Mule Deer @ 20 yards.

· GUT DEER ????
4,600 Posts
when i got back into hunting 5 years ago,a lot of things had changed, i was shooting a parker ultralite 31,with lightspeed 500,with 100 gr broadheads,first shot on nice buck ended badley for every one involved,no penetration,broken arrow lost deer. switched to bone collector 400s with 100gr crimson talon broadheads,pass throughs out to 30yrds no prob. compleat arrow wt 363gr

· Registered
10,765 Posts
IMHO I am reading a bunch of dribble here about guys trying to justifies their need for speed in this thread period. You guys who are shooting arrows less than 400 gr arrows do not do any amount of killing large bodied deer . Sure they will kill deer and on perfect broadside shots most any thing will work . But if you get just a bit too high or slightly forward you are in real trouble .
Now you are all going to say well I never do take bad shots at angled animals but I am here to tell you all that deer will move and move allot at the shot from time to time and that is when those wimpy light weight arrows will let you down and then we will get threads like I lost my big buck or doe last evening and did not get good blood and the reason is always low penetration with the arrow only getting in the body cavity a few inches and then the tears and whining starts .

/most hunters that shoot lite poundage are either shooting mechanical heads now or will at some time then and when a truly big hard boned animal shows up and gets an arrow and then the crying begins because they do not get that once in a lifetime buck it is because they are shooting to lite of arrows and low poundage and just simply do not have enough momentum to get a wound channel completely through the animal they just shot .

There is a huge differance between shooting a deer that feild dresses anywhere from 75 to 175 pounds and one that weighs in feild dressed over 200# Fd or a mature 5 or 6 year old doe with bigger hrdened bone and say a 1 or 2 year old doe . and when you are only getting into the animal less than half way or hit that old hard bone you will know what I am taking about here. Too many guys shoot smallish bodied deer and think or tell other hunters that lite poundage and low arrow grains are all that and for littler deer it might be but all it takes is just one deer to get away or be lost after the shot and the the "I made a perfect But lost it " pour out of the woodwork.

I just do not understand why grown intelligent men worry about 1 or 2` inches of arrow flight fall at 25 or 30 yards that is between a 350 g arrow and a 450 grain or higher arrow matters that much and makes hunters walk that fine line between common sense and self inflicted mental pain from loosing a deer that would of been theirs with just 4 or 5 more inches of penetration that leaves a two sided wound vs a high hit that leaves almost no blood or forward hit in thick part of the shoulders just because the deer jumped the string at the shot.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.