Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice on arrow grouping, i'm just starting out and hopefully I'll be able to bow hunt this season. I've been practice with my bow on a weekly basis and can't seem to get all my arrows grouped in the bullseye. I am able to shoot a group about the size a medium sized hand. I'm wondering what size groups would be good enough for hunting and what is a good group for a begging shooter. thanks for the help.

Keith

·
Colorblind blood trailer
2,566 Posts
Welcome to ArcheryTalk Keith! Sorry to hear you've gotten hooked on shooting your bow... :shade: You are developing consistency with your regular shooting and should see your groups continue to improve. What distance are you shooting those "hand" sized groups at? If you are a typical treestand hunter here in the midwest, most of your shot opportunities will likely be under 30 yards. Other styles/locations of hunting may be more or less.

You may also want to consider shooting with some other more experienced archers in your area if you have any. Sometimes they can help you with your form, questions and just generally rib you if you shank one. Good luck! :darkbeer:

Tony

·
Registered
213 Posts
try shooting some arrows without the fletchings at 20 yards, shoot 3 fletched and 3 unfletched. they should group very close together. If you can get them to group with each other, your groups will improve. If they will not shoot with them, most likely your rest, or knocking point is off. If you still cannot get them together, it is most likely too weak or stiff spined arrows. Just some starting points for you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm shooting the hand sized groups from 20 yards. my groups get a little wider at 30 yards but not by much. I'm able to get two arrows with rage 3 practice tips to group in a 3" circle at 20 yards but I have problems with the others.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts