Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am pretty new to target archery. Pretty much just been a hunter and now wanna take my arrow flinging to the next level. I just got my hands on a mathews ovation that I'm going to use for outdoor 3d shooting. It has 50-60 lb limbs on it and it only IBO's at like 300 fps and I'm looking for some arrows for it. I plan on shooting the hunter's class so I know that I have to use a screw it point and all. I have it cranked down all the way and the most I can get out of it is 58 lbs. I want something pretty light to make up for the lack of speed. The bow shoots awesome. Way better than I can, but I'm using easton epic 400's on it now. They are like 8.7 gpi. With 2 inch blazers, nock, insert and tip my arrows weigh around 368. Any help I can receive would be greatly appreciated!:)

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
If you want a fast, tough arrow that is consistant every time, go with Carbon Tech Cheetah 3-D's. Victory HV's are pretty light too.
If the 400's are working well for you for your current set-up, the new shaft should do well with the same 400 spine rating.
Jerry

·
Registered
122 Posts
Gold tip ultralight 400's would get you around 330-335 gr. and they are working great for me out of my switchback

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks guys. I will take all the help I can get.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
hold the phone........
did you say that all the way backed out that your 60 pound limbs are only getting to 58lbs? Sounds like a set of 60-70 pounders, or maybe string lengths are off?
Might better check.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No with it tightened all the way down I can only get 58 lbs out of it.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
hold the phone........
did you say that all the way backed out that your 60 pound limbs are only getting to 58lbs? Sounds like a set of 60-70 pounders, or maybe string lengths are off?
Might better check.
No...I Believe he means the bolts "all the way down to the limbs" Max'd out, but Im not sure why he is only getting 58 :noidea:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ttt

·
Registered
780 Posts
Gold Tip Ultralights, Victory HV, CX 200, Carbon Tech Cheeta. I would first get the bow back to specs, usually Mathews are a couple pounds heavier than their range when they are bottomed out. (your 50-60# should be 62-64# when bottomed out)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok how do I get it back to specs?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do you guys think about the easton lightspeeds?

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
Good arrows. However, my money is on the Fatboy 500's by Easton. At 7.1 grains per inch, and fat as heck, you will not need the 58 pounds to get the maximum allowed arrow speed.:jam:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts