Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I may be wrong but I think you have the arrow on the wrong side of the bow when you are shooting.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am shooting Korean Traditional Archery, not Mediterranean draw. Generally speaking the arrow is on the side of the bow where your draw finger/s point, because of the archers paradox effect. This is the Mongolian draw seen in cultures mostly in Asia. This has nothing to do with new or freestyle or experimental archery, its a style with many training schools, specialized ranges, sport events and championships associated with it world wide. Some more details on the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QybdYiSvWZA

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some speed can be gained with the tumbring draw. In Korean Traditional Archery (and other styles like Chinese and Japanese) the tumbring allows much longer draw of the bow and longer arrow.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am working on replacing that movement of the index touching the arrow point. I do that for finding the front anchor. I am looking for an alternative.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I may be wrong but I think you have the arrow on the wrong side of the bow when you are shooting.
You have NEVER heard of the thumb draw? To tell you the truth, the freedom and the variety of ways people shoot the bow is amazing. In Mongolia some masters of the traditional Mongolian archery shoot on the left side with a thumb release, so many different ways and styles. But never the less most of Asian archery styles use the thumb ring and shoot on the right side. Bottom line, you are probably joking on me with that comment...

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
I don't know anything about the style archery that you are practicing. It seems to me that if you are going to shoot off the right side of the bow that the bow should be held vertical or slanting to the left to keep the arrow from wanting to fall away from the bow.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know anything about the style archery that you are practicing. It seems to me that if you are going to shoot off the right side of the bow that the bow should be held vertical or slanting to the left to keep the arrow from wanting to fall away from the bow.
The arrow in not going anywhere, its not just hanging there in the air, it is held fast by the draw hands' index finger doing the double job of also putting pressure on the thumb. The point of the video is the arrow hitting the camera.

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,523 Posts
Archers paradox.

Where the bend begins in your arrow is where it impacted the camera. The point and most of the shaft were past the camera when the shaft "slapped" the camera. Arrows do not fly perfectly straight out of a bow without a cut out riser and released by fingers. The arrow is flexing side-to-side for some distance after leaving the bow.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The arrow in not going anywhere, its not just hanging there in the air, it is held fast by the draw hands' index finger doing the double job of also putting pressure on the thumb. The point of the video is the arrow hitting the camera.
How far can you shoot accurately using this method?

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
I can see how the draw hand could keep the arrow in place.

To keep from shooting the camera. Put the camera 90 degrees from you or put the camera behind the line of fire.

I am glad that the arrow didn't destroy your camera.

Have a great day.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How far can you shoot accurately using this method?
In Korea, the standard distance is 145 meters. Not my case tho. With only just 2 to 4 hours a month of practice, I shoot from 30 meters. If I find more time for practice in the future, I will move to longer distances. For years I shot Mediterranean draw and Olympic style with the Hunter Takedown and the SKB and I was more accurate... but not at first.

·
Registered
19,805 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts